Crosley Washer agitates fine, and makes noise on spin cycle but won't spin

Old 05-24-09, 11:36 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Crosley Washer agitates fine, and makes noise on spin cycle but won't spin

Howdy everyone, I got a Crosley CW7000W and recently the thing started leaking water everywhere. We fixed the problem because the water level sensor (with the air pressure and everything) tube had become disconnected and so after pushing that back on and making sure it was nice and tight with it's clamp, everything seemed normal until we got to the spin cycle. Here it makes noise like it should be spinning, yet it's not spinning, and while I'm holding the lid switch I can move the tub from side to side but I can't make the thing spin.

What could my problem be?

Old 05-25-09, 03:34 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 76 Votes on 69 Posts
Are you sure it agitating( did you look at agitator) most likely is the drive coupler is broken. Washer will fill and drain and usually will make a noise in spin cycle. Let us know what you find out.

Old 05-25-09, 04:19 AM
I can move the tub from side to side but I can't make the thing spin.
if you mean the cant spin the basket by hand then its most likely the coupler.

if you mean you can spin the basket ONLY after you jumped the lid switch?

if so then the coupler is ok. could be oil on the clutch, stripped out drive block or a sock between basket and the tub.

Old 05-25-09, 10:29 AM
D
pugsl, it is exactly as you describe it. I just double checked to make sure that it is in fact agitating and it is. The damn thing just won't spin!

No, I put a screw driver into the lid switch and still can't spin the thing, just move it towards or away from the edges of the washer, but no spinning.

Can I buy a coupler online? Is it something that is easy to replace? Where exactly is it?

Old 05-25-09, 02:02 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
if it is agitating but not spinning than the coupler is ok. No agitation than coupler, here is a lint to repair
Whirpool Drive-Coupling Replacement
The only thing I do different is not to take cabinet off, I pull the machine out from wall far enough to lean it back on hoses(far enough to lean back by it's self) and work under machine. Water pump can stay on hoses and push to the left and fold hoses to stay out of way. when you reinstall motor be sure to take extra care on the way the pins line up to the holes in the rubber piece. Lots of practice takes me about 15 minutes but know every tool I will need. Give about a hour for job.
Look munder machine for a streak of oil inside of cabinet about 6 inches from floor. If there you will need a gearcase and clutch.

Old 05-25-09, 03:28 PM
D
It was leaking because the pressure sensor got unplugged and then the water would overflor the top so I dunno if I would see any powder or residue on the bottom anymore, but I'll give it a look.

Would the whirlpool replacement kit also work with my crosley cw7000w?

Can't beat 12.95 vs $200 - 400 for a new washer on craigslist.

Old 05-25-09, 06:14 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Disregard what I said before, Just looked your washer up and found out yours is a built by Maytag. Tilt washer back against wall and there is a large plastic pulley there take center cap off and make sure there is grease in there. Turn pulley one way and agitates turn the other way and trans should lift and than it spins. If not lifting you will plastic pulley. if it does than most likely transmission is bad. Make sure belt is in good shape.

Old 05-28-09, 01:48 PM
D
Okaay

So I did what you said pugsl and when I turn it clockwise it agitates but when I turn counter-clockwise it doesn't do anything and get's harder to turn. What does this mean and what would my next step be?

Thanks for all your help!

Old 05-28-09, 02:08 PM
D
Maytag Appliance CW7000W Parts List

Here is a link to the diagram of the transmisson. What part is most likely to go out? I'm kinda afraid of taking it apart without having an idea of what I'm looking for in there.

Old 05-28-09, 03:05 PM
when you turn it counter clockwise you should see the brake rotor raise upwards. if not you need a thrust bearing kit.

if you do then check for a sock or something between the basket and tub

Old 06-01-09, 04:45 PM
D
Where can I purchase the thrust bearing kit? Ist here an official maytag site?

Old 06-01-09, 05:40 PM
you can get it at your local appliance parts store unless you live out in the boonies. if so try repairclinic.com

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: