Brand new Bosch Dishwasher and Some Concerns

Old 06-05-09, 12:13 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Brand new Bosch Dishwasher and Some Concerns

I recently purchased a brand new Bosch Dishwasher,
300 Series - Evolution Dishwasher
SHE43M05UC

Bosch Home Appliances - Dishwasher, Evolution Dishwashers, 300 Series dishwashers

I installed the Dishwasher myself, but the reason why I got this Bosch Dishwasher was b/c it was supposed to be ultra-quiet like you aren't supposed to know it's on.

My mother has a Kitchen-aid and it's like that.. and that is what I was expecting.

The problem is the Dishwasher is really loud in my opinion. I can hear the water running through it from as far as 25 feet away.

Did I do something wrong with the installation. I mainly hear lots of water rushing through, but still this shouldn't be the case

The dishwasher is installed Under Counter, and it is directly on SubFloor.

It's more loud water that rushes through.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Sponsored Links
Old 06-05-09, 01:10 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
It is possible you have air in the lines that will eventually purge. Do you have your outlet line looped and attached higher than the dishwasher? Did you run your water line in the groove down the middle of the machine along with your wiring? Did you set the back leg using the black screw in the middle of the machine so it is tight to the flooring? I'm just touching on some things that may need attention. I just installed one for a customer and visited them this weekend. I walked in the kitchen and saw the red light on the floor. They told me it was the indicator light telling them it was running. Duh! It was really quiet.

Old 06-05-09, 04:26 PM
Are you hearing the water sound when it fills the machine with new water? Or is it from when it drains? Or is it during the washing action?

Old 06-06-09, 01:05 PM
Guys,

Thanks for getting back to me.

It is possible you have air in the lines that will eventually purge. Do you have your outlet line looped and attached higher than the dishwasher? Did you run your water line in the groove down the middle of the machine along with your wiring? Did you set the back leg using the black screw in the middle of the machine so it is tight to the flooring? I'm just touching on some things that may need attention. I just installed one for a customer and visited them this weekend. I walked in the kitchen and saw the red light on the floor. They told me it was the indicator light telling them it was running. Duh! It was really quiet.
I do not have the outlet line looped and attached higher than the dishwasher. I ran all the lines in the bottom cavity and I made sure to level the dishwasher.

I am going to turn it on in a little and get a feel for how loud it is.

I will make sure the machine is tight to the floor, but I am 99% sure that it is.. My concern was that it is sitting directly on SubFloor, and I had to raise the legs all the way up, so the space under the legs is pretty high (Will measure when I go back to the apt)

Are you hearing the water sound when it fills the machine with new water? Or is it from when it drains? Or is it during the washing action?
I am hearing the water throughout the cycle..

Are the machines generally louder during the quick cycle? But still, This is a Bosch, and I shelled out some serious bucks for this.. It should be silent..

I will keep you posted, but keep the ideas coming..

Old 06-07-09, 05:57 PM
Is there supposed to be foam insulation behind the kickplate?

I have been reading that perhaps that might be the issue.

Old 06-17-09, 05:06 PM
same here

I just installed the same dishwasher (not a professional) directly on a slab. My girl who bought it feels that it is noisier than it should be.

The space for the unit seemed slightly wide and I don't think that I raised it off the floor enough either. Also, the attachment to the drain seemed odd and was definitely making loud noises during draining.

I'm going to try making it a more snug fit and re-examine the drain situation, and then I'll post my results.

Old 06-17-09, 05:34 PM
It's funny you mention that.. I had an appliance guy come out on a warranty check b/c I told them the dishwasher sucks. They told me that there is nothing wrong with my installation and it's just the Dishwasher.. I can't accept that.. I am going to call the store where I bought it from and then call Bosch.

Old 06-19-09, 03:13 PM
I'm an appliance salesman... Please don't take this personally, but the 300 series is one of the lowest lines Bosch makes. The SHE43M05UC is rated at 54 decibels which is considered somewhat quiet, but isn't much quieter than as standard mid level Maytag, Whirlpool or GE. The salesman should have explained this to you. Bosch is a very good machine with excellent cleaning capabilities, but it's got a smaller tub, manual clean filter, no drying element and an outrageous price. Hope you never have to buy parts... What you were looking for was a machine that rates around 45 or 46 decibels which can be found on the top end Bosch machines, top end GE and top end LG (GE or LG would have been a little cheaper). May find close on the Kitchenaid line (they don't like to post their decibel ratings...)

If you're really disappointed in the noise level, make a fuss with the store and get them to take it back in exchange for a quieter model and a sales person who knows the difference. A near silent dishwasher really is wonderful, but I have to tell you... I was sad to learn when I got our new dishwasher installed, that you actually can hear 46dB without putting your ear against it. Luckily the refrigerator drowns it out.

Doug M.

Old 06-19-09, 07:04 PM
Thanks for the info.. I figured that the 300 series was a good dishwasher b/c it was a Bosch, but it might be a good dishwasher, it's just noisy.. I will learn for next time.

Old 06-23-09, 03:16 PM
Originally Posted by captkeebz View Post
I just installed the same dishwasher (not a professional) directly on a slab. My girl who bought it feels that it is noisier than it should be.

The space for the unit seemed slightly wide and I don't think that I raised it off the floor enough either. Also, the attachment to the drain seemed odd and was definitely making loud noises during draining.

I'm going to try making it a more snug fit and re-examine the drain situation, and then I'll post my results.
Update: The next day the machine was running MUCH more quietly even without adjustments. Seems to clean excellently as well. I am a happy customer.

Old 06-23-09, 04:21 PM
"I do not have the outlet line looped and attached higher than the dishwasher. I ran all the lines in the bottom cavity and I made sure to level the dishwasher. "
I am concerned about the discharge line not being looped to the height of the dishwasher. It must be done for proper operation. I am surprised no one of the other posters has commented on it.

Old 06-23-09, 04:23 PM
Super Moderator
Depends on the install instructions Chandler...seems like I've seen some of the newer fancier ones don't require it.

Old 06-23-09, 04:30 PM
I think I will just be a pissed off customer.. I guess there is nothing more I can do.. The appliance repair man said I can put more insulation.. But all I think I need is some sort of foam backing on the kickplate.

Any ideas on what I can use for this?

Old 06-23-09, 04:39 PM
Super Moderator
Sure..some 3/4" styrofoam or 3" fiberglass...whatever won't interfere with the guts. Lots of time the wiring diagrams and such are on that plate..so remove it or something before you use pray contact adhesive to put the stuff in.

I put some 3" fiberglass I had on a brand new washer and was amazed how much quieter it was. You do need to allow a little airflow though..the motor can get pretty hot.

Old 06-23-09, 05:44 PM
So I go to the store and buy 3" fiberglass? I would be concerned about styrofoam b/c of fire..

So, do I just glue the fibergloass to the kickplate?

Can you like upload a picture so I can see it

Old 06-23-09, 06:09 PM
GG, it is mostly a code issue more so than a manufacturer's thing. It is to keep water and crap from the disposal unit or sink from backing up into the dishwasher. The Bosch does have a loop on the left side forming the trap for the washer itself. Not too sure where the OP made his final drain connection.

Old 06-23-09, 06:19 PM
Super Moderator
Gotcha chandler...

Gold..sorry that was 2 yrs ago at the last house...just know it made a big diff in the sound.