Oven Broiler Blew Up


  #1  
Old 06-08-09, 12:28 AM
R
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Hale
Posts: 12
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Oven Broiler Blew Up

Last night I was using the broiler on my Maytag(CWE4800ACE 24") oven and it started making a spark that looked like someone was using a welder in my oven. It was so bright that it looked like the light was on in the oven. I'm not sure if I was frozen with stupidity or amazement, but all I could do was turn it off and watch it.

The spark/arc traveled from where it started all the way around the 'B-shaped' element (like one of those 'magic snake' fire works). Until it finally exploded and made a spark that reminded me of lightning hitting a transformer. As I said, I was frozen with stupidity and failed to turn the breaker off. It did trip the breaker when it finally blew. It also left a tannish-red powdery residue all over the entire oven and left the upper element in about 10 pieces.

So now I need to change the element out. My only concern is if it damaged the 'computer' that controls the oven. Can I remove the broken element and try the oven. Will the lower bake element still work without the top broiler element? Or should I just remove this oven and get a new one?

It is a Maytag CWE4800ACE 24" oven.

-------------------------------------------------------

What is that residue it covered the oven with? When it was burning-sparking it reminded me of burning magnesium. Is that what the element is made from?
 
  #2  
Old 06-08-09, 01:05 AM
D
Member
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 2,021
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sometimes when an element goes they put on quite a show. it looks scarier than it is. The downside is they often take the electronic control with them. My suggestion is to take the broiler element out, then unscrew and unplug the bake element. Tape off the wires for the bake element and make sure they don't touch the cabinet. Plug the bake element into the broiler location and turn the oven on to broil. If the element heats up you're ok. If not, trace the wires back to the controller. There is a terminal block in between on which you need to check the wiring. Someitmes what happens is the relay on the controller gets fused closed. To answer your questions: you could use the bake feature but you'll need to do something iwth the broiler wires if you do any baking. You just can't tape them off because the oven heat willl damage the tape. If you just want to try the control then taping the broiler elment wires off temporarily is ok. The residue is from a powder inside the element. It will clean off with some elbow grease. If you find that you need both the controller and the element, you might want to compare repair vs replace. The controllers are pricey. Let us know what you find. Thanks.
 
  #3  
Old 06-08-09, 09:37 AM
R
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Hale
Posts: 12
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Thanks for the quick reply. Will let you know this afternoon.
 
  #4  
Old 06-08-09, 08:28 PM
R
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Hale
Posts: 12
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Smile

That did the trick DaddyJohn. Had no major problems other than the blown element. Thanks.

I found a local parts store and replaced the upper and lower elements - I found a small crack in the lower one. I figure an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

(I do wish I would have videoed the fireworks display though.)
 
  #5  
Old 06-09-09, 01:36 AM
D
Member
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 2,021
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
sounds good. The lower one would have gone out before too long. I'm glad you didn't have to replace the controller.
 
  #6  
Old 06-09-09, 07:43 AM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 8,627
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by red_thumper View Post
(I do wish I would have videoed the fireworks display though.)
If a rangetop element goes out in that fashion, it can actually burn a hole clean through the bottom of a kettle. A recipe for a heart attack if you are standing right there holding the kettle handle and that happens. BZZZHHZZH!!!!
 
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
 
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: