requesting suggestions for dishwasher detergent

Old 06-17-09, 05:47 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
requesting suggestions for dishwasher detergent

Hi!
I have a brand new "commercial grade" electric dishwasher, Insinger RL-30.
Would someone please recommend a brand name for detergent and rinse fluids?

A website where to look for perhaps?

Thanks...

Sponsored Links
Old 06-17-09, 06:54 AM
Wow I didn't know Insinger even made undercounter models. I've only ever repaired the conveyer types. Ecolab Ecolab.com Home seems to be the brand everyone used. I noticed in the tech manual they specifically said do not use residential dishwasher detergent products. They also discuss deliming which is a must. If the heaters get a coating of lime on them they will burn out. $$$ I imagine you noticed in the installation instructions the need for a PRV set at 20 psi. You might call Insinger and see if they have a detergent/rinse aid recommendation. Do you have any idea what that machine sells for?

Old 06-17-09, 07:14 AM
Hi...
I'm aware of the "do-not-use" residential-grade dishwashing detergent, as well as of their max. 20psig requirement, as I downloaded all of their manuals and perused through them. Electrical and plumbing are done, the unit is ready to go, except that I'd like to make sure I use the right stuff (detergent & rinse chemicals)

I did call Insinger (as their 800 number is on their manuals), but the person I talked to held back from recommending a specific brand...I guess they are careful not to favor one brand over another...which leaves me in a bad situation as I don't know what's out there that is bad-good-better-best.

This much the Insinger person said about the detergent:
-must be Hi Temp rated
-must be of the Alkaline type
- must be non-foaming

Old 06-17-09, 07:21 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Do you 'have it' in your own home? Out of curiousity, what is there about such a machine as this, that sold you on it? And is the RL-30 number regarding it's capacity?

Old 06-17-09, 07:32 AM
Not in my house...The dishwasher at home is "yours truly".

This is at a day-care center me/wife own and wife runs.
capacity of this beast is 30 racks/hr (or 750 dishes/hr)

Guys, I see you regularly at the hvac forum...it got a smile on my face to see you here as well.

Old 06-17-09, 10:00 AM
Yeah the health dept will want you to have a high rinse temp which you can't get with a resi dishwasher. I used to service a place with an Insinger conveyor model but they were kinda cheap. After the second time I had to replace the heaters in the machine they accepted my preaching that de-liming might be a good idea. The machine didn't have a booster heater for the final rinse water and I told them that one day the health dept was going to get them. I priced the install out for them. Sure enough, I got the panic phone call- when can you put it in? We had to air freight a heater in. The health inspector said they could stay open for one week using paper plates and plastic untensils but after that close the doors until they were up to code. She came back and checked to make sure they weren't using the machine. I talked to her, she was ok just doing her job. We got it done in time but he groused about the bill for a long time.

C O M M E R C I A L D I S H W A S H E R . N E T

You might call around to some local restaurants and ask what they use.

Old 06-17-09, 10:04 AM
This particular model number does come with the booster heater you mention

Old 06-17-09, 10:23 AM
Super Moderator
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Or stop by a restaraunt supply store and get recommendations....sorta like the paint guys preach.....go to the people who sell and service it locally.

Gotta be careful talking to the people in the restaraunts, might get a guy like a boss I had. We were almost out of the lime remover..so he said just use bleach for the rest.
Uhhhh bad idea...lime remover (phosphoric acid) and bleach don't mix well. As in Phosgene Gas. We had to evacuate and ventilate the place for about 4 hrs...and lucky me got a trip to the ER.

Old 06-17-09, 01:44 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by pflor View Post
Not in my house...The dishwasher at home is "yours truly".

This is at a day-care center me/wife own and wife runs.
capacity of this beast is 30 racks/hr (or 750 dishes/hr)
Thanks.

Guys, I see you regularly at the hvac forum...it got a smile on my face to see you here as well.
Well, we HAVE to be. We are bonefide know-it-alls. It also can be fun following the regulars around the board.

Old 06-17-09, 05:33 PM
Wow- phosgene gas is nasty. It was used in the trenchs in WW1. You only have to sniff it once, you never forget it.