Speed Queen Dryer wont start, think it is the starter switch

Old 06-30-09, 07:27 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Speed Queen Dryer wont start, think it is the starter switch

I have a Speed Queen heavy duty that wont start. It had difficulty starting before where you had to hold the starter switch until it went and also after a long dry session it wouldnt start until it cooled down. Can anyone help. Is it easy, difficult to replace a starter switch if in fact that is what it is. Model # is 6em453L. Thanks for your help.

Old 07-01-09, 03:37 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 77 Upvotes on 70 Posts
Check model # did not work. Cooling down before it starts sounds like motor. Did it make a humming noise before it started?

Old 07-01-09, 03:27 PM
T
sorry, had to put my classes on. here is the model number aem453L, and yes it did hum before it turned on.

Old 07-01-09, 05:18 PM
making humming noises and only starting when cold does sound like a bad motor. it it was the start switch nothing would happen when you press it

Old 07-02-09, 03:29 AM
T
nothing happens now when i turn the switch. before i got the humming noise then it would start. now nothing.

Old 07-02-09, 04:07 AM
i replace about 200 thermal fuses for every start switch.

need to get a volt meter and figure it out.

Old 07-02-09, 07:14 AM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
But that humming symptom it has tips my opinion in favor of the motor/ motor start-centrigfugal switch going -OR-

----with that symptom, you really should access and disconnect the belt and see if when you try to spin the drum by hand, if there is some kind of bind. And also try to spin the idler tensioner pulley as if they get gummy, that puts an extra bind-load on the motor as well. You have to eliminate any bind --anything in the blower wheel, bad idler pulley, bad rollers, a sagged down drum putting additional load at the felt, etc. -and then move on from there with other tests IF you can rule those things out as loading up the motor. And fi the motr DID gewt shot, let's say -it could be a result of one of those things I listed, which then you'd also have to fix, of course.

And if you do decide to fix the dryer, vacuum it out good including down under the lint screen, up the rear exhaust duct and down underneath.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: