Gas vs. Electric dryer

Old 07-16-09, 01:04 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Gas vs. Electric dryer

There tons of info available comparing the cost of gas vs. electric dryers with gas getting a slight nod in most areas.

What I don't see in any of these discussions is the time required to dry with electric (they assume equal dry time for both). I have never had a gas dryer but I know that every electric I have had takes at least 2 cycles to completely dry clothes and if there are a lot of jeans or towels it can take 3 cycles.

Do gas dryers dry clothes quicker?

If so this would tilt the advantage even further to gas.

Thanks

Old 07-16-09, 01:43 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
if it takes you 2 or 3 cycles then your vent is restricted not allowing proper air flow. both gas and electric will take a long time in that case.

Old 07-16-09, 01:50 PM
A
That's what I keep hearing but in every house I live in I make the vent hose as short as possible but it's impossible not to have some crimp in it due to the low rear clearance.

I have noticed that dry time goes down significantly (in all houses I have lived in) if the flex vent is a straight shot. Only way I can do this is by pulling the dryer away from the rear wall. Problem is, in an interior wash room you often cannot close the room door if you pull the dryer out.

I surprised no one makes a flex dryer vent hose based on spring - like a slinky that retracts on itself. Or if I had 5' long rubber arms that might help me attach a vent hose with little extra length in it.

Old 07-16-09, 02:01 PM
A
Actually I found this -

I'm assuming you only need a clamp on one the connections for obvious reasons?

I would also have to lock down the dryer since it moves very easily.

Part 1012446 from RepairClinic.com

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: