Maytage Washer not draining

Old 07-20-09, 03:30 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Maytage Washer not draining

I have a maytag washer, maytag mdb5100awb, which doesn't drain after rinse cycle. I can hear the pump trying to start, but it just hums for a couple seconds and shuts off. It tries to start every few seconds, but nothing. Now if I wait a few hours, I can get it to drain.

I'm assuming the pump is overheating, and when it finally cools down, it allows it to run. Does this make sense?

Thanks!!

RFW

Sponsored Links
Old 07-20-09, 04:26 PM
D
This is a dishwasher.

Based on your symptoms, the main causal factor seems to be heat. By the time the machine is ready to drain it's been circulating HOT water for a while. Heat does funky things to electrical and mechanical componnents. In this order:

1. Take the pump apart to see if there is any damage to the drain impeller or maybe something caught in it. [an impeller kit is available]

2. Next time it acts up, test the voltage going to the motor [at the time it's humming] this will eliminate or prove a problem with the control board, connectors, wiring, etc.

3. If all of the above check out ok, you'll probably have to replace the pump/motor assembly.

Old 07-26-09, 06:43 PM
R
Thanks for the advise

I'll give that a try...

Much appreciated.

RFWWORKER