side by side Refrigerator not cooling

Old 07-21-09, 08:44 PM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
side by side Refrigerator not cooling

12 year old Magic Chef side-by-side refrigerator (model number GS22Y8D) is not cooling. Intially it appeared that the freezer and the refrigerator were both not cooling. I took off the panel at the back of the freezer and defrosted the medium amount of ice/frost which looked like it could have been plugging the defrost drain hole. Plugged in refrigerator again. After about 2 hours the freezer appears to be working but the refrigerator does not appear to be cooling. The fan on the freezer side is working. I have set all the dials to the mid-point. Compressor is warm to touch, not excessively hot.

Not sure if this is related, but the ice maker has not worked for a while and prior to this problem I had just put a load of store bought ice in the ice maker bin. I had also rearranged some items to accomodate more storage in the freezer and may have blocked circulation vents. Naturally this happened right after I bought milk and ice cream.

Thanks for any advice you can provide.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-22-09, 02:44 AM
D
The left contol knob is connected to a mechanical damper/orifice assembly. That assembly controls the amount of air flowing from the freezer side to the fresh food side. Wet the back of your fingers and see if you can feel cold air coming thru to the fresh food side. Also on the same wall [between the freezer and fresh food sections] towards the bottom is an orifice for air to circlate back to the freezer side when the door is closed. Make sure both of those orifices are unobstructed, free of frost, etc. Get a couple thermometers, one for each section. Continually opening the doors to check the "feel" is counterproductive. Frankly, 2 hours is not long enough time. Lastly, check the coils underneath the fridge for cleanliness. How long has it been since the icemaker hasn't worked? The past week or so, or quite a while?

Old 07-26-09, 03:17 PM
W
defrost heater problem???

The refrigerator and freezer initially worked after I defrosted the freezer, but after 5 days the whole thing was frozen up again, which I think means it must be a defrost system problem. I tested the defrost heater and it does not have continuity. From what I read in other posts, I think this means that the heater is bad. Then - I cannot figure out how to get the heater out. Do I need to pull out the whole defrost unit and disassemble to get at the heaters?

Thank you.

Old 07-26-09, 06:30 PM
D
When you tested the heater, did you read both the heater and the defrost limit thermostat or just the heater? Take the metal shields off of the freezing coil and you'll see that the heater is attached to the coil with some clips. The part # for the heater is 61001846.

D&D | Appliance Parts | Ice Makers | Refrigerator Repair Parts

They have it for $18. Type the part # into the part search box. Verify part # before you order.

Old 07-26-09, 07:21 PM
W
defroster heater

I took the reading by attaching the meter leads to the ends of the heater wires.

Old 07-26-09, 07:35 PM
W
did not test thermostat

I did not test the defrost thermostat - after the heater showed not continuity I just believed this was the problem.

Also - I see now how to get at the heaters. thank you!!

In answer to your earlier question. the ice maker has not been working for a long time. At first the water line sprung a leak and we had to turn the water off until we could fix the line, which was a low priority. When I finally got around to fixing the water line, the ice maker no longer worked. That was about a month ago, Then, the water line sprung another leak, so I am beginning to think it is more trouble than it is worth. I mean, heck, a bag of ice is only $1.50 and we dont seem to go through more than one every couple of weeks.