Maytag Refrigerator not cooling properly

Old 07-22-09, 09:06 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Maytag Refrigerator not cooling properly

I have a Maytag refrigerator model# PTB1953DRQ.
Freezer sits on top of the fridge.
Here is what I have done:
There was some frost on the back side of the freezer so I took off the panel and it was ice all over.
1. Check out fan and it works.
2. Check the radiant heater, no burn marks and check for continuity and it is good.
3. Check thernostat by freezing it in another freezer and it passed the continuity test. When it is room temperature, it fails the continuity test, so it is good
4. and the last thing is the timer control for the defrost. How can I test that gadget? I think the timer controller is most likey bad but I don't want to spend a lot of money to find that it is not the controller.

One more thing, where is the best place to order maytag parts?
Thanks. any help is very much appreciated.

Old 07-23-09, 12:50 AM
D
Good troubleshooting so far. The timer is in the console where the controls are. Turn the cold control [thermostat] to the coldest setting When you find the timer rotate the knob until you hear a click which should shut off the compressor and energize the defrost heater [you should be able to hear some water sizzle on the heater]. Make a little mark on the timer body to denote the position of the knob. Go get a coffee, check the mailbox, [a watched pot never boils] then check to see if the timer had advanced. If the timer does not advance, or if the knob is real hard to turn- replace the timer. Timers like yours are generic, I like to use an 8 hour/30 minute type. Translation- 3 defrosts a day for with a 30 minute duration. I looked up your fridge at appliance parts pros, They wanted something like $52 which is nuts. Timers are more like $12 to $15.

Use Sears Parts Direct to find the part #. then shop.

These folks have decent prices, D&D | Appliance Parts | Ice Makers | Refrigerator Repair Parts I haven't used them so I can't comment about their service. You might also shop ebay.

When you get finished, remember to set the controls to their midrange settings or a bit colder. Let us know how you make out. Thanks.

Old 07-23-09, 09:28 AM
T
Thanks daddyjohn. Your instructions are very easy to follow. I shall do that when I get home from work.
When I called the local parts store, they want about $95 for the controller.

Old 07-23-09, 10:30 AM
D
They must be confused. Newer Maytags have an electronic board called an ADC board [$$], but I looked up a parts breakdown for your fridge before posting and it clearly shows an electromechanical timer. The part # is 68233-3.

I found it here for $52 plus shipping Find Whirlpool Repair Part: 68233-3 at D&D Appliance Parts.com

I also found some on ebay in the $40 range.

Last edited by daddyjohn; 07-23-09 at 10:46 AM.
Old 07-23-09, 02:39 PM
T
Thanks for the link. That was the part they quoted me. I think they priced it above mfg. suggest retail price.

Old 07-24-09, 07:17 AM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Maybe I should start ordering parts this way, when at least I find out the appliance-repair shop has to order one themselves. Maybe I too could really save. Although, I do value that company for info they freely provide me with, at times. I can come in any time I want - and the girls will bring up exploded diagrams for me or whatever.

Old 07-24-09, 07:57 PM
T
Smile

Sometimes I order from the local parts store the last time I was there, there were not of much help, basically short of telling myself to daignose the problem and then get the parts from them.

Anyhow back to my fridge. I put everything back with all the old parts and it working like a champ. After I got it cold enough, I turn the timer screw until it clicks, then I try to listen for the water sound but I could not hear it. Lucky for me this back panel has open vents. So when I turn off the lights, I can see the red glow from the heater, so I know it is working. And it ran for about 30 minutes, I think. It has been 24 hours and that thing is keeping the fridge cold. I set it medium and the last time I check the temperature, it was 35 degrees. I hope it stay this way. Thanks to daddyjohn.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: