GE TFX28PBDB Running Constantly

Old 07-28-09, 08:29 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
GE TFX28PBDB Running Constantly

Yesterday, our GE TFX28PBDB refrigerator started running continuously. I checked it several times, and again this morning. It never stops running.

The temperature in the outside compartment is 47F which seems high. Also, there is no cold air coming into that compartment from the freezer as usual. The temperature in the freezer is 36F on the top shelf, and down to 10F on lower shelves. The ice cubes have been melting and refreezing.

Running the self-check on the front panel does not indicate any problems. Temp in the kitchen is maintained at 76F during the day. But it just keeps on running.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-28-09, 09:37 AM
D
Is he fan inside the fridge running? Check the evaporator coil to see if it is frosted up.

Old 07-28-09, 10:18 AM
D
Originally Posted by daddyjohn View Post
Is he fan inside the fridge running? Check the evaporator coil to see if it is frosted up.
I don't hear a fan running on the inside. Where is it located?

Don't know where the evaporator is located. There is a small, plastic access door on the rear at the bottom. Is it located inside there?

I can't tell if the noise I hear is a compressor running, or just a fan. It's definitely coming from the area of that access door on the back.

Old 07-28-09, 01:17 PM
D
Both the evaporator coil [the freezing coil] and the fan are in the freezer section. Underneath the fridge [at the back- you'll have to slide the fridge out and take off the back cover] are the compressor and another fan. Easiest thing to do is find the freezing and coil see if it's frosted or iced up. The freezer fan will also be adjacent to the freezing coil. If you're getting 10F in the freezer section, the refrigeration is probably ok.

Look here for drawings that show where everything is.

Parts & Accessories | Shop & Find Lawn & Garden, Appliance Parts at Sears PartsDirect | SearsPartsDirect.com

but shop here D&D | Appliance Parts | Ice Makers | Refrigerator Repair Parts

or on ebay for parts.

Let us know what you find. Thanks

Old 07-28-09, 05:13 PM
D
Thanks. I took off the cover on the back, and it was as you described. The compressor was in the corner on the left, and the fan was in the middle. That fan is apparently what I hear all the time as it never turns off.

I tried to look through the fan and every way I could to see the evaporator, but could not see it. According to the parts diagram, it appears to be horizontal under the refrigerator. Do you have to tip it up to see under the reefer?

The temperatures seem to be rising. The lowest temp I could find in the freezer this afternoon was 25F. The refrigerator section runs around 47F. I am checking with both a Raytek IR thermometer, as well as an Oregon Scientific remote temperature sensor.

I turned the temp controls from 4 to 5 to see if it makes any difference.

Old 07-29-09, 05:51 AM
D
Put the IR back in the case. Put a glass of water in the fresh food section let it set awhile, and use a stem thermometer to measure the temp. Set the controls at the middle of their range. The coil underneath the fridge is the condensor coil which dissapates the heat. You want the evaporator coil which is the one that gets cold. At Sears website, click on the freezer section diagram. Item 228 is the evapoarator coil. You have to take off the back wall of the freezer section [inside the freezer] off to gain access to it. I think you're going to find it's frosted up [snowy] or iced up [hard ice]. Snowy- defrosting problem, iced- check the drain for stoppage.

Old 07-29-09, 07:18 PM
D
I called a repair man. It took him 1/2 hour just to get to the evaporator coil. You wouldn't believe all the stuff that had to come out first. He said in his 30 years of doing this, it is by far the most difficult to work on. He said GE only made that model for one year. Maybe that's why.

Anyway, the problem was a burned out evaporator fan motor. The coils were somewhat frozen, but they had been melting all day. The ice maker was full of water. He said, no air flow, no cooling.

He's still working on it. Hopefully, we will have a refrigerator before we leave in the morning. Going to cost $212, which seems reasonable for all the work involved.

Old 07-30-09, 04:00 AM
D
Thanks for the update. One reason the repair is so high is GE parts are expensivve.

Old 07-30-09, 08:38 AM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by deweyman View Post
Going to cost $212, which seems reasonable for all the work involved.
I'll have to tell that to my boss so he realizes the kind of money I continously save him. And tell him other people think such charges are good deals.

Just like my washing machine job yesterday: You think some appliance guy is going to clean out cobwebs, scaly dirt, and scrape and wire brush rust on the feet and lower chasis and treat it with rust neutralizer, and magic marker instructions on back of machine so future repairs can be done quickly by anyone? - during their service call?

Old 07-30-09, 05:33 PM
D
ec- probably not. They might clean up but rust neutelaizer? I doubt it. Did the link I sent you ever work for you?

Old 07-31-09, 06:53 AM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
No it never did. And I tried it again now. Yes, I have that feature on the computer that you inquired about. It loads the file, green bars, seconds count down to 0-----then nothing. All that happens is the blue "More" turns purple color and stays that way, even if I revisit and try later. I asked if AAR got turned off and I was told no, and we looked under all the programs, and AAR was on there and said all files were loaded. ????? So I wonder how you get it and I don't. ????

BTW, I love that rust neutralizer stuff, for all kinds of stuff.