kenmore 596.58695890 freezer cooling issues

Old 07-31-09, 08:02 AM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
kenmore 596.58695890 freezer cooling issues

Hello,

I have a kenmore 596.58695890 side by side fridge/freezer. It seems to be operating normally except for that the freezer gets too warm before the fan inside will kick on that distributes the cold air. It goes through the normal defrost/cooling cycle fine. It's just that the freezer will go into cooling mode, but the fan doesn't kick on until it reaches about 40 degrees then it cools to about 5 degrees as it should.

I've checked for power at the fan while it's in cooling mode and not running and it's definitely not getting any voltage. From what I've read it's possibly the defrost thermostat going bad, but figured I'd check before ordering.

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Old 07-31-09, 10:53 AM
W
As a followup, when I say it goes into cooling mode, the compressor is running. Air is blowing out the back and the coils start to frost up. It's just during this time the condensor fan isn't running and no voltage is being registered at the 2 leads to the fan.

Probably within the next hour or so, voltage will show again and the fan will start running as it should.

Old 07-31-09, 03:21 PM
D
The condensor fan is the one underneath the fridge, Is that the one you mean? Or do you mean the evaporator fan which is the one inside the freezer section. First, make sure the coils under he fridge are clean, If ok, replace the derost thermostat/fan delay.

You can look up the part here
Parts & Accessories | Shop & Find Lawn & Garden, Appliance Parts at Sears PartsDirect | SearsPartsDirect.com

these folks have it about $24
D&D | Appliance Parts | Ice Makers | Refrigerator Repair Parts

Old 08-03-09, 11:08 AM
W
Sorry I meant the evaporator fan. Ordered a new defrost timer and also defrost thermostat and just replaced both. Not showing any power to the fan leads still, but dunno if it takes a bit before this normally kicks in.

Letting it run a bit to see what happens. I know the fan is good because it runs for several hours when it finally gets power. So, good fan, new thermostat, new timer. If this doesn't fix it I'm really not sure what to look for next.

Old 08-03-09, 11:10 AM
W
Just checked and the fan is running, only about 3-5 minutes after plugging the fridge back in, so I'm guessing that's a good sign. Will see if it goes through the normal cycle.