Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Household Cleaning, Kitchen Appliance Service and Repairs > >Electric< Large Kitchen and Home Appliances
Reload this Page >

Had a tree fall on my power lines and now My ice maker and microwave dont work?

Had a tree fall on my power lines and now My ice maker and microwave dont work?

Old 07-31-09, 08:40 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Had a tree fall on my power lines and now My ice maker and microwave dont work?

Hi guys,I found the site via google search.

Needing some expert advice

This past week I had a tree that fell on my power line that runs to my house and knocked the power out.In the kitchen I noticed my microwave making a loud alarm sound with alot of crazy numbers ive never seen before on the front control panel.Well after paying an electrican to get my house's power restored I noticed the microwave isnt doing nothing.Acts like its not getting any power at all even though the outlet that its plugged in has been tested.

Also I noticed the ice maker in my fridge isnt working anymore.We was without power for right at 18 - 20 hours.

My question is .Do you think both the microwave and icemaker is beyond fixable?Or could it be something simple?Im guessing the microwave is probaly fried and cant be fixed??

Thanks in advance for youre help!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-01-09, 04:32 AM
D
Ouch

The mirowave is probably repairable, but if the control panel is out, it will not be cheap. Unless it's an expensive OTR model, probably best to replace it. Try looking inside the MW for a fuse, first.

As for the icemaker, the first step is to ascertain the temperature in the freezer section with a stem type thermometer. What are the brand and model # of the fridge?

Old 08-01-09, 11:24 AM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Did the tree fall due to bad thundstorm with lightening?

Old 08-01-09, 06:29 PM
B
Originally Posted by ecman51` View Post
Did the tree fall due to bad thundstorm with lightening?
No,it fell because the tree rotted out at the base.I never noticed it

Old 08-01-09, 06:38 PM
B
Originally Posted by daddyjohn View Post
Ouch

The mirowave is probably repairable, but if the control panel is out, it will not be cheap. Unless it's an expensive OTR model, probably best to replace it. Try looking inside the MW for a fuse, first.

As for the icemaker, the first step is to ascertain the temperature in the freezer section with a stem type thermometer. What are the brand and model # of the fridge?
Thanks for the quick reply and advice.

The fridge is a Hotpoint side by side fridge.
Model # HSM25GFRESA

I dont have a stem type thermometer,im guessing you can them at lowes or HD??

Old 08-02-09, 06:24 AM
D
I imagine they would have them, or maybe an appliance parts store. Icemakers have a temp control built in; if the freezer section is too warm, the icemaker won't operate. On most brands the freezer section has to be about 15F to17F in order for the icemaker to operate.

Old 08-02-09, 06:45 AM
B
I imagine they would have them, or maybe an appliance parts store. Icemakers have a temp control built in; if the freezer section is too warm, the icemaker won't operate. On most brands the freezer section has to be about 15F to17F in order for the icemaker to operate.
Im almost positive the freezer gets cold enough.The ice cream was like a brick last night when I was scooping it out lol

Old 08-02-09, 06:50 AM
B
Also I do notice that this ice maker has a On/Off switch.Looks like there is a little light below it that of course isnt on right now.Does the Ice maker have its own power suppy?Just doesnt make sense that I would lose my ice maker and my fridge and freezer is working fine..

Old 08-02-09, 11:17 AM
D
AH- you have the GE electronic ice maker which has a PCB inside. Take off the front cover [there's a little plug on the front cover that slides up exposing a screw] and test for 120 volts from L1 [brown] to N [orange] [push in the freezer door switch when checking]. If you have 120, check the continuity of the switch. If that's ok, the board is probably bad. The icemaker is WR30X10093. These folks have it for $82.

D&D | Appliance Parts | Ice Makers | Refrigerator Repair Parts

Here's a link to the service manual:

http://appliancejunk.com/ge/icemaker/31-9063.pdf

Let us know what you find. Thanks.