JennAir Refrigerator Not cooling

Old 07-31-09, 09:58 PM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
JennAir Refrigerator Not cooling

Hello all, we have a JennAir side by side ref MODEL # jcd2389gtb and the refrigerator side is not cooling but the freezer still making ice. I thought that it might be the fan that blows cool air to the ref side from the freezer. Don't know if that's how it works. Also I noticed that the ice cubes are bit transparent not solid frost (am I making sense here.). Anyway, does any one experienced this problem before? What do you think is wrong with this refrigerator? I appreciate all your advices.

Thanks

Last edited by hope4me; 07-31-09 at 11:54 PM. Reason: ADDING THE MODEL #
Old 08-01-09, 04:51 AM
D
First thing- set the controls at the mid range of their settings. Next, check the coils under the fridge to see if they are clogged with dust, etc. Next, using a couple stem thermometers, determine the temps in the freezer and fresh food sections. In the fresh food section, place a tall glass of water on a shelf in the middle, put the thermometer in and let it set for awhile in the fridge. Inside the fresh food section, look for the damper opening at the top of the wall in between the two sections. Wet the back of your fingers- can you feel air blowing thru the damper opening? Inside the freezer section, look at the back wall- any frost buildup there?

Old 08-01-09, 07:39 PM
H
Originally Posted by daddyjohn
First thing- set the controls at the mid range of their settings. Next, check the coils under the fridge to see if they are clogged with dust, etc. Next, using a couple stem thermometers, determine the temps in the freezer and fresh food sections. In the fresh food section, place a tall glass of water on a shelf in the middle, put the thermometer in and let it set for awhile in the fridge. Inside the fresh food section, look for the damper opening at the top of the wall in between the two sections. Wet the back of your fingers- can you feel air blowing thru the damper opening? Inside the freezer section, look at the back wall- any frost buildup there?
-------
No dust under the refrigerator coil, there's also little air coming in from the damper, I looked in the back of the freezer and there's a little frost build up in the back wall about mid section where the back panel protrude towards the front. I will do the thermometer thing when I get home. what temp should I expect?

Old 08-02-09, 06:14 AM
D
freezer 0F to 5F
fresh food 38F to 40F

If you have a frost buildup on the back wall in the freezer section, you have probably found the problem. Remove the back wall panels to see if the freezing coil is frosted up. If you're not sure how to get it apart, go here for diagrams.

Parts & Accessories | Shop & Find Lawn & Garden, Appliance Parts at Sears PartsDirect | SearsPartsDirect.com

Old 08-03-09, 09:32 PM
H
Originally Posted by daddyjohn
freezer 0F to 5F
fresh food 38F to 40F

If you have a frost buildup on the back wall in the freezer section, you have probably found the problem. Remove the back wall panels to see if the freezing coil is frosted up. If you're not sure how to get it apart, go here for diagrams.

Parts & Accessories | Shop & Find Lawn & Garden, Appliance Parts at Sears PartsDirect | SearsPartsDirect.com
I opened the freezer panel, and look like the coil had frosted up. I also saw your post on how to measure resistance and everything. The defrost heater is okay but i am not getting a reading on the thermostat. I measured it while it was cold. I went out and looked around for the part but it'll be shipped to me in 5 days. I got back at home I put evrything back together again since the waiting time is 5 days. The ref side look okay now. I am getting a good temp. Of course there's no frost anymore and air can get through the coil. Is it safe to say that this is fix for now(temporarily)? The problem will come back when the ciol get frosted again?

Thx again for your kind response.

Old 08-04-09, 07:03 AM
D
You're welcome. Without defrosting, the freezer coil will be frosted up again in a few days- how fast will depend on much the doors are opened.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: