Kenmore Dishwasher Problem

Old 08-01-09, 05:39 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Kenmore Dishwasher Problem

The unit in question is a 7 year old Kenmore, (made by Whirlpool). I first noticed the problem about six weeks ago, when opening the door to empty the dishwasher and there was still some powdered soap in the soap cup. Since then, this has been a constant. The soap is never fully incorporated into the wash cycle. Not only that, as time has passed the amount of soap remaining in the cup has grown. Meaning, less and less soap is being used, with the result being the dishes arenít coming out clean any longer. Iíve checked to be sure the cup is always fully opened and it is. Iíve changed brands of powdered soap but still the results are the same. I have even tried different wash cycles but still the soap remains and the dishware isnít being cleaned very well.
I have tried adding water before the main wash cycle begins, thinking the level might be too low due to a bad water inlet valve. Didn't help, valve OK, it seems.
Then I tested the water temp and it is only 110 degrees. The hot water at the tap is also 110, meaning the dishwasher, which has a built in water heater, isn't working, or so goes my thinking.
Any ideas what might be wrong? Where should I start?
Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-02-09, 06:28 AM
D
The heating elemnet has probably gone south. Check to see if you get 120 volts to the element. You can also ohms test the element. can you post the model #? My guess is it's 665.xxxxxxxx you can see parts diagrams here:

Parts & Accessories | Shop & Find Lawn & Garden, Appliance Parts at Sears PartsDirect | SearsPartsDirect.com

IMHO- the only detergent that's any good is Cascade.

Old 08-02-09, 04:29 PM
C
Hello, daddyjohn. Thanks for the reply. Here is some additional info that might help you to help me.
First, the model number is 665.15899100.
I spent much of yesterday mucking around but could find nothing that caught my attention, (not that I know what to look for anyway ).
I increased the water temp from 110 degrees to 125. Made no difference.
Today I tried to run a normal load of dishes. I think I noticed something. The top rack of dishes didn't seem too wet and they certainly were dirty. Could it be that the top washer arm isn't working properly? That would explain why the soap isn't being washed out of the dispenser, even though it's opening.
If it is the upper washer arm, what can be done to fix it?
Thank you.

Old 08-03-09, 08:55 AM
D
Could be the pump is worn and not producing enough pressure, Could be there's a blockage in the feed tube, Could be the upper spray arm is binding or clogged. Could be the lower spray arm is cracked and all the water is being diverted to there. Could be the chopper inlet screen is clogged [common]. Many things to look at.

I think this is the service manual for your model

Technical Reference - Job Aids

click on the arrow at dishwashers and download the point voyager manual.