Roper washer: no warm water plus agitator speed question

Old 08-08-09, 01:47 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Roper washer: no warm water plus agitator speed question

Last week I bought a used Roper RTW4305SQ0 from a shop that sells reconditioned appliances. I have a couple of issues with the machine, but won't be able to talk directly with the owner until Monday.

First: When water setting is on warm, I will initially have warm water coming in, but within one minute, it seems as if the hot water is suddenly shut off with a sudden decrease in the water volume coming in and the water suddenly becoming cold. I effectively get a washer full of cold water rather than warm. Cold and Hot cycles work normally. The message I got relayed from the owner to the assistant to me was that it's not the washer's problem, but that I have a hot water heater issue. I suspect something was lost in the relayed message and I will get to talk with the owner on Monday. What could be the problem here?

Second: On the perm press cycle, the agitator speed is the same as on normal cycle. On the gentle cycle, the agitator speed is also the same as the normal cycle, but the agitator cycles on and off. Is this normal for this model? I'm told that it is, but I just want to be sure, since the machine says it is a "2 speed motor."

Thanks much!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-08-09, 02:11 PM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Probably has sediment floating around at the hot water fill valve screen, or in a possible auxillary combo washer-screen that someone may have put in the end of the hose at the shut-off valve. Turn off laundry spigot and remove hose and clean out the debris, then see how it is.

Don't know answer about agitation any more than this guess: Agitating = one speed, and spin cycle = second speed?

Old 08-09-09, 04:58 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 71 Votes on 64 Posts
Would need manual to know if agitation speed is normal but it sounds like it is. Does this machine have a energy star feature? It sounds like a normal operation if it does. Energy star controls water temp.

Old 08-10-09, 06:49 AM
G
Thanks for the tips. I checked the hot water inlet screen which was clean as a whistle. There isn't anything blocking the water flow in the hoses.

There is no indication that this is an energy star appliance. It's a very basic model. I downloaded the manual from the web and there is no indication that this model has a water temp control feature.

Any other suggestions for the warm water issue???

Old 08-10-09, 01:01 PM
G
Could the issue be with the temperature switch?

Old 08-10-09, 02:04 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 71 Votes on 64 Posts
Roper are usually pretty basic, What controls do you have? Water temp control?

Old 08-10-09, 02:13 PM
G
It has a water temp knob, water level knob, and a wash cycle selection knob. There is a photo of it and description here: Roper RTW4305SQ Top Load White Washer - RTW4305SWH

Old 08-10-09, 03:21 PM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You'll need to test and catch where the power failure lies. If it is the switch, then you will find that no current will proceed to the hot water side of the fill valve's solenoid. But if it were the fill valve's solenoid at fault, then you would show power coming from the warm setting, continuing on down to the hot and cold water solenoids on the fill valve. Both hot and cold should be getting power. If not, it be the water temp switch, as long as power is being supplied to that switch itself.

If you can find your wiring diagram in your console, and you are handy, this should show you what wires then you need to test, regarding what I have said about the two points of interest.

Old 08-11-09, 06:34 AM
G
Okay, thanks. I've not ventured into electrical testing, but I'm willing to give it a go. I understand that an ohmmeter is inexpensive. If I can't get the seller to come out and test it, I will give it a try myself. Thanks.

Old 08-12-09, 07:13 AM
G
I haven't tested the water temp switch yet, but after some further research, I think what I am experiencing is actually normal for this washer. I was able to talk with the owner of the shop. I'm told that in some of these newer machines, a "warm" cycle is 72-75 degrees - much cooler than my old 15 yr old machine. Since my cold water is at about that temp this time of year, the machine senses that temp and shuts off the hot water inlet. Some further Internet research has revealed that others are experiencing this as well.

I came across this post from a gentleman who had the same problem in his GE washer, and he disconnected the thermistor on his machine so that he could have a warmer "warm" cycle. OK machine, but with one major flaw. - General Electric WPRB9220C Top Load Washer - Epinions.com I'm not sure I would want to resort to that, but I will keep an eye on how well the clothes are washed in my new cooler "warm" cycle.