How to replace a thermostat / cold control in a whirlpool fridge?

Old 08-08-09, 08:31 PM
How to replace a thermostat / cold control in a whirlpool fridge?

Can anyone guide me on how to replace a cold control / thermostat on a whirlpool refridgirator? Its a 3 year old fridge, and some times it goes off and it wont come back on until I fiddle with the cold control, so I am sure that is the culprit. So if someone can guide me where to buy a new one and how to replace it myself that would be swell!

thanks in advance for your help

Sponsored Links
Old 08-09-09, 11:49 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
It's been a couple years since I have had to actually put one in. But I have had the cover off to make adjustments on others. Unless someone radically redesigned these(aka made them DIY proof), you simply unplug the fridge, remove some cover at the ceiling of the fridge that houses it, unplug wires hooked to it, and do whatever it takes to remove the control.

It is pretty self-explanatory once you are in the compartment and see how they route the sensing bulb and how it's mounted and wires are connected. Was an easy job for me. If you are at all mechanically inclined, it be a low number on the scale of 1-10 to attempt.

Many cities have appliance repair shops that also sell parts to walk-in customers. People also order parts over the internet if they can wait for delivery. Some cities have used appliance stores that also sell used parts. But finding your only 3 year old part might be not very common, yet.