Maytag Atlantis Intermiddently Not Spinning

Old 08-07-09, 08:57 PM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Maytag Atlantis Intermittently Not Spinning

Hello, I have a Maytag Atlantis, model # MAV7550AWW that is not spinning, seems to seize up. I am able to trip the lid switch and spin the tub by hand which gets the spin cycle going. It worked for a week after the first time I did that and now it is happening more frequently. I have replaced the pump and will replace the belt tomorrow (started w/ the easy stuff). I am trying to decide if I need to replace the thrust bearing or tub and seal assembly or both? Strange thing is, I was able to tilt the washer forward to view the bottom while it was siezed and the motor, pump and thrust pully are moving but the tub is not. I figured if the thrust pully was moving the tub would too, but not the case. Anyway, any help would be appreciated before I start buying and replacing parts I don't need. Thanks!

Last edited by Kelmey; 08-07-09 at 09:23 PM.
Old 08-08-09, 04:27 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 77 Upvotes on 70 Posts
Take the front panel off and than tilt washer back. Turn pulley, one direction is agitation the other way you should see the transmission lift off the brake, If not doing that lube or replace thrust bearing (needs lube on ramp part, easy to see when apart) If lifting and not spinning than you will need a transmission.
If thrust bearing has small roller bearing in it go and get the new style.

Old 08-08-09, 06:09 AM
K
Originally Posted by pugsl
Take the front panel off and than tilt washer back. Turn pulley, one direction is agitation the other way you should see the transmission lift off the brake, If not doing that lube or replace thrust bearing (needs lube on ramp part, easy to see when apart) If lifting and not spinning than you will need a transmission.
If thrust bearing has small roller bearing in it go and get the new style.
I see, that makes sense. I've actually had the thrust bearing off and it seemed OK but it is the small roller bearing style like you mentioned, can you possibly tell me where to find the new style? By mentioning the "ramp", is that the white plastic part shown as #4 in the illustration? As far as lube, what type should I use? Thanks very much for your input, I believe I will have a working washer soon.

Old 08-08-09, 01:16 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
All the kits sold now are the new style. have not got a old style in years. Any light wheel bearing or similar grease should do. Yes the white plastic piece is it. Kit 24 in picture. you might be able to lube up old and put it back in.

Old 08-10-09, 07:41 AM
K
Originally Posted by pugsl
All the kits sold now are the new style. have not got a old style in years. Any light wheel bearing or similar grease should do. Yes the white plastic piece is it. Kit 24 in picture. you might be able to lube up old and put it back in.
I just purchased a Tub Seal Kit and a lower bearing. I have my washer apart and am having a hell of a time removing the Wash Tub Hub. Everywhere I see online, it says its hard to remove. I placed a vice grip on each side of the hub which gives me a good grip but when I turn it, the whole transmission seems to turn. How can I get this to break loose?

Old 08-10-09, 01:55 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I have had to break basket to get it off. If you were replacing transmission i would hammer on top of it till basket came off. just reread your post are you talking about threaded hub under the basket? Maytag has a special spanner wrench for that and a small 3 pound hammer works.

Old 08-10-09, 04:21 PM
I just purchased a Tub Seal Kit and a lower bearing.
dont see how that would make it spin. are you sure the thrust bearing is releasing the brake?

and you do need that special spanner nut wrench

Old 08-11-09, 06:13 AM
K
Thanks for the help. I placed a large vice grip around the hub and hammered it which got it off half-way, I then took the whole transmission assembly out and then was able to hammer the hub at a better angle to finally get it off, it was rusted on there pretty good. I figured I would have a non-repairable machine after hammering the heck out of it and it became more of a mission. If the bearing was good, I was going to give up and buy a new washer....but it was definitely the tub seal bearing, it was water damaged, rusted out and it didn't spin smoothly. I installed the new the tub seal assembly, thoroughly cleaned the inner and outer tubs, crossed my fingers and sent it through a spin cycle. Needless to say, I'd liek to think I have a brand new machine, quiet as ever! This is definitely not a job for an amature. I had a total of 10 hours (half for the hub removal) into this repair along with bruised, cut-up hands and a wife who thought I was crazy. My $60 in parts was well worth it in the end though. Hopefully we won't need a new machine for a few more years.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: