maytag washer fills but nothing else

Old 08-09-09, 12:16 PM
maytag washer fills but nothing else

I have a maytag washer model mav7057aww.
the washer fills with water but does nothing else.
i can hear the timer click for the next cycle but the washer
does not respond as it advances. I noticed the ground
for the motor was rusted, so i fixed that broken piece but
did not effect the non working washer.

any ideas for my next step?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-09-09, 01:27 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
How old is this unit? Is it the older mechancial type (not digital controls)?

Since you hear the timer clicking, that is unfortunate. (Otherwise, if no ticking of timer clock it could have been something like a lid switch)

I'd have to suspect timer points burned or the motor or starter switch with the motor is shot. You'd need to be able to read a wiring diagram to see what wires to bypass the timer and go directly to the motor, to see if it is the timer or not.

Now, I do not believe it could be the lid switch. But if this was me, I never chance anything - and I'd test that to be sure they did not wire that machine to keep the clock ticking. I've never been a person who likes to say, after the fact, "You've got to be kiddin'!". Nope. Never been into that. I always have great respect for that ol guy Murphy who is out to get you at every step.

BTW - the wiring diagram should be stuffed inside the back of the console.

Old 08-09-09, 02:49 PM
thanks
i did some probing on the motor and found one connector burnt
off some black box which had an orange wire going to it.
this black box is tucked inside the motor near the copper wires.
i got the box out and it has on a blue label 801 and some other numbers like 9927 and 20ma03ha the back says therm-0- d18c.
the oarange wires comes from a connector and then through this box and then out to the thermo block on the motor.

what am i looking for and what is it called.
can i even buy this part seperately.

Old 08-09-09, 03:27 PM
If it is right on the motor, I don't think so. But I am wondering about the Therm-O-d18C. It probably says Thermo-O-Disc.

You'd probably have to call up an appliance repair and parts store and have them tell you what is or is not available if you describe this and tell them the numbers. Also have the entire machine's model number ready to give them.

No way you can get into that spot and splice on a new proper gauge wire replacement, and get a connector on the end of it to go into the location? Probably not, eh?

It's possible corrosion caused it, so that not enough good wire/connection to carry the load anymore, and burned up. Or could also be caused by an increased amp draw from say a fault in the motor or a bind where the motor could no longer spin freely.

I reread your post and it sounds like that is a thermodisc for the motors overload protection. It is good that you were able to get it out. It may possibly be replaceable. But you'd have to determine if you have enough good wire to work with. And the question still comes into play as to what fried the connection, as I stated.

Last edited by ecman51; 08-09-09 at 03:51 PM. Reason: added below dotted line
Old 08-09-09, 04:27 PM
Originally Posted by ecman51` View Post
If it is right on the motor, I don't think so. But I am wondering about the Therm-O-d18C. It probably says Thermo-O-Disc.

You'd probably have to call up an appliance repair and parts store and have them tell you what is or is not available if you describe this and tell them the numbers. Also have the entire machine's model number ready to give them.

No way you can get into that spot and splice on a new proper gauge wire replacement, and get a connector on the end of it to go into the location? Probably not, eh?

It's possible corrosion caused it, so that not enough good wire/connection to carry the load anymore, and burned up. Or could also be caused by an increased amp draw from say a fault in the motor or a bind where the motor could no longer spin freely.

I reread your post and it sounds like that is a thermodisc for the motors overload protection. It is good that you were able to get it out. It may possibly be replaceable. But you'd have to determine if you have enough good wire to work with. And the question still comes into play as to what fried the connection, as I stated.
if i could post a picture i would.
only one side of the box burnt. i still have good amount since it looks like on ly the plastic cvoering on the crimp burnt.

Old 08-10-09, 03:27 PM
Does that plastic burned connector plug onto the thermodisc? Have you checked with an appliance repair/parts outfit yet? If you have enough wire to work with you can even always crimp on another like connector. You can buy them.

Old 08-10-09, 06:22 PM
Originally Posted by ecman51` View Post
Does that plastic burned connector plug onto the thermodisc? Have you checked with an appliance repair/parts outfit yet? If you have enough wire to work with you can even always crimp on another like connector. You can buy them.
yes the plastic plugs into the therm but the prong is broken off.
i;ve been looking but sears wants to sell the whole motor saying the piece is part of the motor. i tried grainger but they do not carry they told me to try the motor repair shop.

i will try them.