Kenmore 90 Series Clothes Dryer will not start

Old 08-10-09, 10:55 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool Kenmore 90 Series Clothes Dryer will not start

Heres the deal...

The wife was doing a load of laundry last night and when she went to start the dryer she said that when she pushed the start button the machine made a buzzing sound (i assume this is the end of cycle alert noise). she again pushed the button and didnt get the noise nor did the machine start. i checked it and it appears to be completely dead, when i push the start button there is no noise at all, nothing.

A few motnhs ago I replaced the heating coil and cleaned out the whole dryer, icluding the venting system.

I will be following the steps below to diagnose the problem, if anyone has any suggestions please let me know! when I figure out what the problem is/was I will add it to this post.

#1, Check the breaker box.

#2, Check the Start button

#3, Check all thermostats and cut-off switches, including the new coil i replaced a few months back.

#4, Check the ventilation and make sure its clear.

Fortunatley I have a Sears repair facility 2 blocks from my house so I will pull the start button and thermostat/cut-off switches and take them all over for testing.

Again, any suggestions are welcome, I will post the solution as soon as I find it!

Old 08-10-09, 03:00 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 75 Votes on 68 Posts
Check thermo fuse first, Is the first thing I check.

Old 08-10-09, 05:18 PM
Originally Posted by pugsl View Post
Check thermo fuse first, Is the first thing I check.
i always check the door switch first, then thermal fuse.

Old 08-11-09, 07:05 PM
J
Update

The dryer has been working intermittently. The thing i really notice is when it is working, i push the start button and it doesnt immediatley start like normal. there is about 1/2 second where i have to hold the button down before it gets going. it reminds me of a car that needs to turn over a couple times before it will fire up. We were able to run a couple loads through before it quit working and now (a couple hours later) it is working again. It seems like a thermal issue, it stops after prolonged use, and after is cools down again its ready to go. I wish it would just quit so i could diagnose it better.

any thoughts anyone?

Old 08-12-09, 04:31 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 75 Votes on 68 Posts
Does it hum before it starts? Sounds like a notor going bad.

Old 08-12-09, 07:31 AM
J
Yes, it makes a "humming" noise, like its struggling to start turning. I am getting the impression that it is a motor issue. If/When it gets moving you can hear the machine struggling to keep going. I am going to pull the motor and have it tested. I will pass on the results as soon as i get it done.

Old 08-12-09, 09:43 AM
no need to test the motor. you know its bad by it not coming on when hot and making the humming noise at start up

Old 08-12-09, 09:45 AM
J
Very good point Beer 4U2. now its decision time.....new motor, or find a cheap dryer on Craigslist.

Old 09-14-09, 07:55 PM
B
Similar issue w/ Kenmore series 90

I have a similar issue. 1st symptom was buzzing rather than starting. Replaced the motor with a new one. Now it doesn't start and there's no buzz.

Suggestions?

Old 09-14-09, 08:16 PM
^model#?
are you sure you hooked the door switch back up?

Old 09-15-09, 08:17 AM
J
It was the motor on my machine. We scrapped the dryer and got a new (used) one from a friend that had four dryers sitting in their garage.

Old 09-15-09, 05:46 PM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by briggskb View Post
I have a similar issue. 1st symptom was buzzing rather than starting. Replaced the motor with a new one. Now it doesn't start and there's no buzz.

Suggestions?
Oh boy! I'm trying to think of what the fastest way would be to diagnose without trying to diagnose the whole dryer.

You didn't forget to check the circuit breaker or fuse, did you? As the buzzing is hard on the electrical draw and could have blown or tripped something right there, with the old one.

Or, you did not buger up the jack connector or motor terminals down by the motor by chance by say trying to force it on backwards or something, on the first reassembly attempt?

Other than that, if you have power to the recepticle and check the door swith and maybe console start switch......hmmm......you might want to try to throw the old motor back onto the the connections, temporarily, to see if you get that buzz once again. That way you would know whether or not your new motor is a bad one.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: