washing machine leaking

Old 08-11-09, 07:09 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
washing machine leaking

Kitchen Aid washing machine started leaking from somewhere inside. Dripping forms puddle on floor while filling. Dripping seems to be coming from bottom of front panel. Haven't taken any panels off to investigate, because not sure yet how to open them on this model. Model number is KAWS750LQO. Any clues, tips, comments, suggestions, advice on how to proceed and and/or what likely is leaking would be appreciated. thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 08-12-09, 03:35 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 71 Votes on 64 Posts
Here is a link to what I think your problem is
Whirpool Drive-Coupling Replacement
Jusrt use the part how to take cabinet off. I think the water pump is leaking

Old 08-12-09, 08:23 AM
Thanks pugsl for that helpful link. If I need a new Whirlpool Drive Coupling Kit, are those all pretty much the same for my Kitchen Aid washer, and easily acquired maybe through ebay (or perhaps another source you can suggest) if cannot be found locally? (I live in small remote town).

Old 08-12-09, 01:52 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Kitchen Aide made by Whrilpool, Same washer different controls.

Old 08-13-09, 08:39 AM
Really having a heck of a time figuring out how to get the cabinet open to get access to inspect/fix leak. Got the console loose but don't really see how it is supposed to flip up as shown in the instructions in the link. Also, seems like there are several plastic tabs sticking through the back panel that will prevent the back panel from moving very far even if I can get the back panel loose. I'd like to be able to open the cabinet and run the washer and watch inside to verify the location of the leak before doing something like having it lying down with the back or bottom panel removed. Please advise further about this, what's the trick anyway? I'm kinda stumped here. thanks again

Old 08-13-09, 12:51 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
dont try to remove the back panel!

pull the console towards the front and up. then remove big clips

i usually replace the pump without removing the cabinet. just lean her back against the wall

Old 08-13-09, 01:33 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
DO NOT TRY TO REMOVE THE BACK it does not come off, Follow what David said, I find it easier to remove cabinet.

Old 08-13-09, 07:18 PM
Okay I found this video online, now I get it. I didn't realize until I saw this that the console pulls up like that and then swivels back like that.
YouTube - Whirlpool Kenmore Washer Cabinet Removal Video

Last edited by sgull; 08-13-09 at 09:52 PM.
Old 08-14-09, 06:23 PM
Got the cabinet off finally. And yep. The water pump was leaking. Had a pinhole type leak right on the front plastic body of the pump. I replaced it with a new one (50 bucks from local plumbing supply, only place in town that happened to have one) and put the cabinet back on. Working good again with no leaking anymore. What causes such a pump to spring a leak like like that anyway? Thanks you guys for the help/advice here

Old 08-15-09, 04:17 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
it leaks from the front of the pump like that when the bearing gets too hot and melts a hole in the plastic. maybe hair causes extra friction and heat, dont know

if whirlpool put a high quality lid switch, pump and coupler on that machine it would required service very rarely