Testing Defrost Timer

Old 08-19-09, 07:02 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Testing Defrost Timer

I read that you can ohm out a defrost timer in the two modes to see whether its good or bad. Does that nessarily mean that if it passes the test that its definitely good? I would think there's more to it besides if there is just continuity or not. What I usually do with a a frosted up fridge is advance the timer to defrost mode and if the defrost heater turns on, I assume its the timer. Thanks!

Refrigerator Repair Guide: How To Test the Defrost Timer (page 2 of 2) - ACME HOW TO.com

Sponsored Links
Old 08-19-09, 09:41 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by George2002 View Post
What I usually do with a a frosted up fridge is advance the timer to defrost mode and if the defrost heater turns on, I assume its the timer. Thanks!
Did you rather mean to say that if the defrost does not come on, it is the timer?

Your provided site spells out the complex test. But to presume you have a bad timer, without finding out if the defrost stat or element is bad, could be the wrong call. The last problem defrost mode I dealt with, the defrost stat was bad.

I like to use a Kill-A-Watt meter plugged into the fridge outlet to see if the defrost comes on, without having to open up any box - by checking the watts on the Kill-A-Watt meter (like 350 or more watts indicates it came on, after the compressor shuts down). You can also mark the defrost timer dial position to see if the clock function of the timer works, to rule out if a malfunction lies in that part of the timer.

Old 08-21-09, 07:04 AM
I like the idea about using a Kill-A-Watt meter... thank you!

Actually though, I believe if you advance the timer manually into defrost mode and the heater does turns on, heater and thermostat should be fine. If advancing the timer does not turn on the heater, then it most likely means your thermostat or heater are defective.

Old 08-21-09, 08:06 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by George2002 View Post
I like the idea about using a Kill-A-Watt meter... thank you!

Actually though, I believe if you advance the timer manually into defrost mode and the heater does turns on, heater and thermostat should be fine. If advancing the timer does not turn on the heater, then it most likely means your thermostat or heater are defective.

....or defrost timer. Especially if it does not move on it's own. And you can see if it does move, over time, by checking where the notch in the turn-dial is pointed to.

As I said, the last fault I had was the defrost stat, not the timer.