Whirlpool Refrigerator Relay Clicking Noise

Old 08-21-09, 07:03 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Whirlpool Refrigerator Relay Clicking Noise

I have GD5LHGXKQ0 (8 years old)
and am trying to figure out what is wrong as this noise is new.
I cleaned coils had a bunch of dust on them but still can't figure out how to clean ones in the middle can't get to them from front or back.

I ordered a relay but not sure that is the problem. Hope it's not compressor.

I unplugged it and when i plug it back in it seems to be fine for a while but compressor gets hot (too hot to touch) and it starts clicking again.

The click pattern is every three minutes, 1 then another 10 seconds later.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-21-09, 07:11 PM
A
what am i looking at here:

Old 08-22-09, 11:47 AM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Are you asking a question, with the pics post, or did you mean "What I am looking at here". ??

If it was indeed a question, that is the compressor and the relay overload box mounted on the left side, and the dusty condensor coils in the backround. Now when coils are down there (as opposed to strapped to the back of the fridge), you also have a fan down there that must run when the compressor runs. And that the cardboard grill back there will have vent slots that need to be clear and not jammed with dust.

Do you own an appliance cleaning brush? They sell them at home centers. Soemtimes to get at all the coils you have to lean the fridge back at an an angle to get at them from below. If you do, either have assistance or lean back enough so it will not fall back forward again and break your arm! Your only other alternative is compressed air, but that make a real mess in the room.

You can electrically test a compressor with a volt-ohm meter. But since you ordered the part, I bet it costs less than what a service call would have cost you - so you are not really out any extra money even if that is not your problem. They do not take electrical parts back if it is unwrapped. They may though if it is sealed in some foolproof container though, with a restocking charge.

If you need to know how to test the compressor, ask.

Old 08-23-09, 01:01 PM
A
Originally Posted by ecman51` View Post
Are you asking a question, with the pics post, or did you mean "What I am looking at here". ??

If it was indeed a question, that is the compressor and the relay overload box mounted on the left side, and the dusty condensor coils in the backround. Now when coils are down there (as opposed to strapped to the back of the fridge), you also have a fan down there that must run when the compressor runs. And that the cardboard grill back there will have vent slots that need to be clear and not jammed with dust.

Do you own an appliance cleaning brush? They sell them at home centers. Soemtimes to get at all the coils you have to lean the fridge back at an an angle to get at them from below. If you do, either have assistance or lean back enough so it will not fall back forward again and break your arm! Your only other alternative is compressed air, but that make a real mess in the room.

You can electrically test a compressor with a volt-ohm meter. But since you ordered the part, I bet it costs less than what a service call would have cost you - so you are not really out any extra money even if that is not your problem. They do not take electrical parts back if it is unwrapped. They may though if it is sealed in some foolproof container though, with a restocking charge.

If you need to know how to test the compressor, ask.

Yea my question was passively suggested through my statement. "not sure that is the problem"

So wanting to know if relay , starter device or compressor is fault.

The compressor got hot during clicking which i understand why but it would run sometimes. So i have another question.
Is it possible for a bad relay to work part of the time? Because it would click only sometimes but other times compressor would be running fine.

I found out how to test compressor but stil not sure how to take wiring box apart, don't see anyway it releases. how do you do that?

As for cleaning the coils, I can't believe there is a propper and easy way to mainain one's own appliance. It seems a brush would only loosen the dust but it would still be in there only to get stuck back on. Trying to figure out how to vacume it out.
Tipping it isn't an option by myself, even with help it could be a back breaker and not an arm breaker.

Old 08-23-09, 02:09 PM
E
Your box does not have that strap wrapped around it, it does not look like. Either you have to release something on the side that holds it in, or it will just pull off - one of the two.

A sporadically clicking relay/overload shows it may just be that alone. Or the run capacitor associated with this. You may have to just buy and hope for the best, fi the compressor terminals test out good on an ohms test. I think I already said that you don't have a lot to lose, since a service man coming out to just look at it will cost about what those parts cost.

Old 08-23-09, 04:23 PM
A
Originally Posted by ecman51` View Post
Your box does not have that strap wrapped around it, it does not look like. Either you have to release something on the side that holds it in, or it will just pull off - one of the two.

A sporadically clicking relay/overload shows it may just be that alone. Or the run capacitor associated with this. You may have to just buy and hope for the best, fi the compressor terminals test out good on an ohms test. I think I already said that you don't have a lot to lose, since a service man coming out to just look at it will cost about what those parts cost.
Ok thanks, i did cut off a strap tie on that box so maybe it just comes off?
When I get parts i'll test compressor and post results here.

Old 08-24-09, 07:41 AM
E
Yes. Now it will just pull off.