refrigerator air flow question

Old 09-06-09, 10:56 AM
Received 4 Votes on 3 Posts
refrigerator air flow question

We have a modern Whirlpool refrigerator, and I'm just wondering if someone could tell me whether the fan in the refrigerator that brings in air from the outside room and circulates it into the refrigerator (and then blows out the "exhaust" air) from what location? Does it suck it in from behind on the lower portion of the refrigerator and blow it out the front, or just opposite, or in some other way? At what specific location does the air suck in, and where does it blow out?

Old 09-06-09, 11:16 AM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Are you sure it pulls air in from the room? That would be extremely innefficient! I think what you are seeing/hearing/feeling is air from the cooling fan for the compressor. They may also blow it across the condenser coils much like a house A/C unit.

Air is normally circulated from the freezer to the fridge and outside air is only introduced when the doors are opened.

No expert..but thats my understanding.

Old 09-06-09, 11:20 AM
Super Moderator
Oh...and as to the actual location of componants and airflow that would depend on the actual model and configuration to some extent (french, top freezer, bottom freezer, side by side).

Old 09-06-09, 12:23 PM
No actually I don't know whether the fridge actually pulls air in from the room, or how it works. All I do know is there is a at least one fan under the fridge that probably, as you say, is what cools the condenser I guess. So if the only way that outside air is introduced into the fridge is when the door is opened, does that mean the same air otherwise always just stays within the freezer/fridge?
And, as far as the configuration, ours is a top freezer (separate outside door for freezer). To clarify why I am asking about this, is I'm trying to determine whether if there were a smell coming from a draft from an air leak in the wall behind the fridge, if the fridge fan would somehow pull that smell into the fridge, or contribute otherwise pull the smell into the room where the refrigerator sits. thanks

Old 09-07-09, 09:02 AM
Super Moderator
Yep..the air inside stays inside until the door is opened.

Old 09-07-09, 10:41 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The fan on the bottom just circulates room air across the condenser coils. There is absolutely no introduction of room air into the fridge, except of course when the door is open.

Old 09-07-09, 12:58 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The smell could be coming from outside and blowing accross coil or there is a tray at the bottom that catches the water after a defrost cycle.This pan can get cruddy and smell.

Old 09-07-09, 01:11 PM
Originally Posted by kilowatt View Post
The smell could be coming from outside and blowing accross coil or there is a tray at the bottom that catches the water after a defrost cycle.This pan can get cruddy and smell.
Cleaned out the cruddy smelly pan. Seemed to make a difference. Maybe that was the problem.

Thanks for all input here from each responder. I learned a few things I didnt know before.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: