dishwasher not washing FDB949GFS2 frigidaire

Old 09-07-09, 09:29 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
dishwasher not washing FDB949GFS2 frigidaire

Fills with water OK but when the wash cycle starts, I just hear a high pitched noise, but no water moves. When I cancel the cycle, it does pump the machine out.

Is this the pump, or is there something else I could check? This machine is 10 years old this month. I don't feel inclined to spend $150 to $200 on parts on it , even if I can do he work myself. Wish it could have waited a few more months when the obama may throw some stimulus money at appliances! I was already to sell him my '94 toyota truck for $4500, but the gas mileage is too good!

Anyway, I appreciate any suggestions on this. Thanks very much,.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-07-09, 01:05 PM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Check if water can both come and go from the pump. Btu i guess we know it is not doing one or the other. Remove the lower spray arm and look down in hole to see if clear, and check spray arm holes. And also remove plastic screen(s) down in the bottom, to see if all is clear down in the sump. Down in the sump pit itself, the last safety screen, in front of the masticating blade, is the smallest diameter one - and anything down there will be drawn to the screen and fully or block water from entering the pump.

IF these issues are not it, something must be screwy with the pump itself, like the impeller is loose, and all you hear is the shaft spinning, or it's the motor you hear running, because the pump solenoid is not working. If you can test for current to the solenoid without pulling the dishwasher, try that first. Otherwise you may have to pull the dishwasher out from under the counter, lay it on it's front and perform tests to see which of these things it is. It may then be obvious if say you discover it had water leakage past a pump seal and it has done damage to either the pump or solenoid. This happens.

Old 09-07-09, 07:12 PM
Thank you for your input. I checked all the stuff which can be got to from the top. Nothing unusual. I decided to "fish or cut bait" on this one and pulled it out, took it all apart. Turns out the wash pump assembly comes out with 4 clamp screw underneath, a host clamp, and plug. In the end, although this is a reasonably easy repair, and it looks like the washer pump would be about $175, this unit has not been a great quality purchase, although it was a somewhat higher priced model when we got it. The door panel is always loose, etc. Door springs are flaky. etc. A store where we shop is having an end of summer sale on Wednesday ( thought it would be today!) and will have a whirlpool GU2476X model for $575, which is a good price for that, so we are going for that.

Now, I can't resist tearing this one down......the impeller on the wash pump "feels" wobbly. Pull the motor, turns out the impeller was stripped, and just spinning on the shaft. Don't know if something got jammed in there to precipitate that, but I didn't see anything. Anyway, I can live with 10 years on a dishwasher. ( My kenmore frig. and whirlpool thin twin washer set are both at 20 years, so I am averaging ok!)

By the way, on this fridigaire DW, it seems there is a separate small drain pump. That explains why it would drain but not wash.

So thanks for steering me in the right direction. I almost opted to make the repair, but have decided to stimulate the economy instead!

Old 09-08-09, 08:21 AM
E
By taking that thing out and apart .................now you have a better understanding how these things work - and that is worth something right there!

I do that whenever I can. I smash open solenoid swithes and any component with points inside to see how they look, construction-wise and to confirm that was indeed the problem. On a couple of replacement dishwashers ago, I had the thing flipped on it's side out in the driveway and confirmed a problem with the solenoid and then I stripped out and saved the timer and a couple other things (did that on the last recent 2 changeouts) as we still have these machines in other rentals.

I'd imagine you are going to install the new one? If so, ask and make sure you have everything you need to reinstall. Since new dw's are usually lower now, the old copper water line is too difficult to reinstall, so most pros now go with the stainless braided flexible supply line made for dishwashers. It says for dishwashers on the package, as it has to handle hot water. Also you need the correct fitting at the shut off valve. More often than not they used 1/2 inch outlet and now they use 3/8ths. Although dw hoses can come both with either 3/8 x 3/8 or 1/2 (at shut-off valve end) x 3/8 at dw end.

Old 09-08-09, 12:48 PM
Thanks for all the input. Good tip on the flex. I was going to use the copper, but I noticed it is not one piece....it comes across from the valve, then at the back end of the DW compartmen, there is a compression elbow. It does not indicate a leak, but a lot of corrosion at each end, so I will just replace it all with a good flex. I have not heard good things about the "no burst" so I will probably opt away from that. I checked and it is 3/8 at the valve.

I hope I do not have trouble getting it in....I added Pergo flooring since the DW was first installed. But the old one came out, so I will mananage!

I was surprised to find the little drain pump, since I am somewhat familiar with GE/Hotpoints, and I think they use just one pump, and a solenoid gate to direct the water. The symptoms made that clear.

Many folks might have opted to repair this one. It looked good underneath. I did not see any signs anywhere that anything had any leaks. But at age 65, hope to retire in a year or so, we are in the mode of replacing appliances and cars, with new ones which hopefull will last beyond the point were it matters!

Old 09-08-09, 05:50 PM
E
New machines are usually quieter! And that feature alone may mean something to you. I recently replaced one in a condo with open kitchen(to living room) and now the old couple that live there are really happy.