whirlpool fridge hot between freezer and refrigerator

Old 09-09-09, 08:03 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
whirlpool fridge hot between freezer and refrigerator

I have a 4 year old Whirlpool refrigerator (mod. # ED5VHGXMQ10). It is a side by side with water and ice on the freezer door. Last week I brushed against the metal strip that runs between the fridge and freezer and was very HOT. This is the part that the rubber seals to when the doors are closed. This strip is hot from top to bottom. Even the rubber is hot to the touch. Also the water coming from the dispenser is not as cool as normal. Any ideas on what the problem could be?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-09-09, 08:57 PM
Check to see if the condenser coils are extremely dirty by removing the lower grill in the front. Otherwise remove the rear/lower cover. There will be a fan back there. Check to see if it is running. Chances are it is not and will need to be replaced as long as there is voltage to the fan motor and nothing is blocking the fan from running. The fan cools the condenser and there is tubing running around the door area that you noticed is hot.

Old 09-10-09, 08:35 PM
The coils are pretty dusty. Also, the fan was not running when I opened the back lower back panel, but it started running several minutes later. Should that fan run constantly? The condenser was pretty hot when I touched it.

Old 09-10-09, 08:49 PM
The fan should be running anytime the compressor is running. Chances are the motor will stall again and it should be replaced.

Old 09-11-09, 05:29 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Makes sure, with fridge unplugged, that fan blade does not hit the housing surrounding it. Tolerance is often real minimal, and last year I had one at bosses house. And because he moved the fridge out to clean, somehow he racked something just enough to cause the blade to bind in housing.

The blade, when it turned, had probably a little forward or backward thrust, and this made the fan bind upon start up, without him even hearing any ticking or clattering sound! Therefore when checking this, try to hand turn the blade with shaft in, and also out, to rule that out. I cocked the thing some, and it has ran fine ever since.

Good chance motor is shot like gdoug said. But make sure what I say does not happen.