Maytag Neptune: spastic motor

Old 09-13-09, 05:09 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Maytag Neptune: spastic motor

I've got a Maytag Meptune model MAH4000AWW. When it starts to run the motor jerks back & forth instead of running smoothly. I found that the 3-pin plug for the rotation sensor on the back of the motor was loose, so I removed it and resoldered it, but that didn't make any difference. Any suggestions? I've heard there were some problems with the motor control board, but don't know if my symptoms fit... anyway, hoping this is a known problem and someone can tell me what to replace.

Thanks,

-Dave

Sponsored Links
Old 09-13-09, 05:49 PM
in the console you should find a tech sheet with tests you can run to test the motor contol and motor.

personally i wouldnt spend much money on this washer. many known issues

Old 09-13-09, 10:19 PM
D
Yeah, I checked the spec sheet but none of the tests really apply. Are most of the problems fixed by the replacement parts (eg. motor control board, machine control board) or are they just new boards with the same problems?

It's quite a nice machine - smooth, quiet - so if I can invest a couple hundred dollars and have a reliable washer then I'll do it. Better than buying a new one for $500+.

Old 09-14-09, 03:44 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 32 Votes on 29 Posts
You might fix one problem but you will have another one soon. Washer is junk. Motor control board comes with a motor, next problem is with main control board and wax motor, Next comes the bearing being bad, I would not use that machine for a boat anchor.

Old 09-14-09, 04:13 AM
Yeah, I checked the spec sheet but none of the tests really apply.
there is a motor control/ motor test where it spins the basket at 50 rpms. what happens when you try that one?

Old 09-16-09, 05:57 AM
D
OK, I tried the Drive System diagnostic test, and the motor did NOT spin at 50 rpm: instead it did the same thing it's been doing, namely made clicking noises and jerked back & forth. Does this mean I definitely need a new motor & board assembly, or is there something else that could be causing this (eg. the motor rotation sensor)?

The other thing I noticed: When it's in delay mode, the hot water valve opens and it starts to fill. If I leave it it'll continue filling indefinitely, until water runs out on the floor. I don't think this is a valve problem, as the valve shouldn't have power going to it in delay mode anyway. What else could cause this? (Yes, I know a faulty machine control board, but I'm hoping it's not that. Both the machine board and wax cylinder were replaced about 5 years ago by the previous owner.)

I'm going to start looking at new units, but want to make one last attempt to save this one!

-Dave

Old 09-16-09, 09:19 AM
sounds like you need a main board for water coming in on delay and a motor board kit that comes with new motor. new washer time

Old 09-16-09, 04:07 PM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by pugsl View Post
.....,I would not use that machine for a boat anchor.
Then what WOULD you use it for? Since it doesn't have wheels it can't be driven off a cliff. LOL.

Old 09-16-09, 08:24 PM
D
So are all the Neptunes junk, or are the later ones more reliable? I see quite a few used ones for sale, but am not sure if I want to go with Maytag at all after this!

Old 09-17-09, 02:44 AM
as far as top loaders the LAT model top loader is well built, and the newer direct drive ones that are made by whirlpool.

the only maytag front loader worth a crap is the one made in germany by whirlpool.

Old 09-17-09, 03:32 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 32 Votes on 29 Posts
All the Neptunes are junk, The LAT model were the last of the good ones, Quit making them 10 to 15 years ago. Whrilpool bought them out a couple of years ago and now they are expensive Whrilpools