kenmore washer 110.2206 motor problem. winding?

Old 09-18-09, 11:06 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
kenmore washer 110.2206 motor problem. winding?

I have a Kenmore elite 110.2206 calypso washer. There are some problem with the spin cycle, The motor will try to rotate in both direction, CW( spin) and CCW (nutate), but it stops after a few seconds of turning. on nutate direction, when it stops, i hear the squeez sound, which may means the break mechanism kicks in. I do not know why, when the motor try to do the spin direction, it will start, then will sudenlly stop, however sometime it can finish the whole cycle if lucky. I have already taken off the front panel. I read something about capacitor to control the initial direction of a electrical motor, if it was broken, the motor tend to start in random direction depending on which voltage sine wave hits it first. And when the motor and pump operate together it tends to stop and try to start, then stop , I know the winding controls this, but what is winding? should i replace it? how could i test it?

Old 09-18-09, 11:18 PM
A
i referenced the other posts on this site, i think maybe it is the motor start switch, but where is it located? Thanks in advance for your help.

Old 09-19-09, 05:45 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 77 Upvotes on 70 Posts
I don't think it's start capictor or any switch. Without look at machine I would guess that you need a U Joint assy, Drive tube and brake assy. Take the top of washplate and look at color of the plastic cap you see there if it's white than it is old style and you definably need U Joint And I am guessing the brake assy has come apart and jamming washer. Take the basket out and see if anything has gotten between basket and tub. Hope that is the case.
If need instructions on how to take basket out we can do it.

Old 09-19-09, 07:45 AM
A
Thank you for your kindly help. and one more thing i forget to mention, when I put on normal wash cycle, the machine will tell me that it has 47 min remaining, but it usually got stuck half way. Would you think that if there is mechanical problem, will it be possible for the machine to operate throught the first half cycle? I will definitely take the basket out to see what is going on. but the manual says i need special wrench ? do it?

Old 09-20-09, 03:55 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
You need a spanner wrench for the nut on tp of the basket. A lot of these the basket is stuck on shaft and than you need a gear puller to take basket out. Take off the cap on top of washplate remove 6 bolts and than take off washplate. Do you know how to open top of washer?? I need to know a little of what you know so I cn help. If you can get washplate off and out of the way look with a flashlight in 1/2 dollar sized holes to see if anything is there. Easy to miss things that way but it sometimes helps. I one time did not see a sheet stuck under basket until I took basket out.

Old 09-20-09, 01:01 PM
A
I took off the top and front panel of the washer, and i have a service manual, look straigt forward, but I have never done this before. I am afraid to take the basket out, cause I may not be able to seal it without the special parts. and if something got stuck, would it be possible to take it out by laying down the washer on its back? Thank you for your knowledgeable help. your advice is really helpful, now i believe it is not a electric problem , but rather a mechanic one.

Old 09-20-09, 05:23 PM
A
now I took off the out washer plate, and sees the "half dollar hole", and I took all the switch machanism for switching between nutate and spin. and sees the axle. When I try to spin the axle by my hand, the basket will try to start rotating a little bit, then suddenly stop, I think there is something in between the basket and hub dragging the rotation, like what you said. I will get the spanner wrench to fix it tomorrow. Thanks aagain for your help. maybe i will not need the seal part to work on this.

Old 09-21-09, 03:04 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
No seal need to put basket back in. What color is top of U Joint???

Old 09-21-09, 05:50 AM
A
the plastic dome is white, there is a yellow rubber surrounding the u Joint.

Old 09-21-09, 02:10 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
That is the old style would recommend a new U Joint.

Old 09-21-09, 03:22 PM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
This might be to easy -but what if the lid or out of balance switch was on the cusp, and the slightest agitation/vibration then causes no more connection and the thing shuts off and brakes?
I mention this from the fact it runs for a while then quits.

Plus I had one a couple weeks ago whose lid switch plunger mechanism got slightly bent just enough to make it barely not work.

Old 09-21-09, 06:36 PM
A
the point is that I tried to turn the axle with my hand, one way is much smothier than the other.

Old 09-22-09, 03:41 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Did you look through the holes with a light??

Old 09-22-09, 08:21 AM
A
yes, i looked through the holes that are located near the rim, there is nothing i can see, i thought maybe something wrapped on the axle, closer to the center. and I cannot find a spanner wrench, something else would work?

Old 09-22-09, 01:54 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Look for a appliance repair store. They should have the wrench. I is a standard wrench for a whirlpool washer. Second best is to put a socket extension in one of slots of nut and try to hammer it off. Only do this as last resort.

Old 09-22-09, 05:19 PM
what happens when you do the 99 second diagnostic cycle?can you put a video on youtube? could be a control board issue.

Old 09-22-09, 06:46 PM
A
i got a tool for a 4 wheel drive wheel bearing lock nut tool for 1/2-3/4 ton trucks. hope it works. if you guys can not find a spanner wrench, maybe you guys can look this baby in any auto parts store.

Old 09-22-09, 07:24 PM
A

it is a little small.

Old 09-22-09, 09:01 PM
A
thank for your replay, I do not know how to do 99sec cycle. I try to do a spin cycle, usually 8 mins, some it can finish, sometime it stuck between nutate and spin., i am not sure what is wrong, more inclined to a mechanical issue. but I will pin out each possiblity. and update here.

Old 09-23-09, 03:26 AM
release the 2 clips with a putty knife so you can open the lid, there should be a tech sheet inside front panel. run 99 sec test and report findings

Old 09-23-09, 05:48 PM
A
thank you for your help, but I already set things apart, will try to test it, when I put all the parts all together.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: