Amana Fridge:: bottom freezer: fridge freezing food

Old 09-29-09, 11:30 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Amana Fridge:: bottom freezer: fridge freezing food

Model: Arb2205cw, bottom freezer

Please help, my refrigerator is freezing food.

I set both the temperature dials (fridge and freezer) to the minimum setting and still the fridge is freezing food. When I turn the freezer dial to off, the fridge stops working as expected. Also the fridge is not continuously running and takes a brake from time to time as per usual.

The only "anomaly" we've seen is that there is frozen air that is coming out of the fridge traps. We don't recall seeing that before.

Today, we called a technician who seemed to be drunk and that for a 100$ "inspection fee" stared at the fridge for 5 minutes and decided that the freezer's control was bad. But he said if this isn't the real issue we have to pay him again and again until it is fixed.

Could the issue really be the freezer's control? As mentioned earlier it does turn off the fridge and turn it back on when I put it at various settings.

If not, what could be the issue?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-29-09, 05:34 PM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
To come to that conclusion you have to first make sure that the fridge section temp is getting cold enough to shut off the temp control! If there was a blockage between the 2 compartments and cold air cannot reach the temp control, the compressor would keep running and causing freezing.

But - if the fridge section itself keeps dropping to say below 32, and it keeps running even when the temp dial is set to 1 or less, then it has to be the temp control, that is bad. Just be sure to read and understand the first paragraph first, before rushing off to buy the new control!

And if it is the control? Often you can recalibrate them by turning their tiny eyeglasses adjustment screw!

Old 09-30-09, 01:53 PM
J
Thanks for your reply ecman51.

As I mentioned earlier, the compressor does turn off from time to time as expected.

I did however measure the temperatures in both the fridge and the freezer. I used 2 digital sensors: One in the freezer and one of the top shelf of the refrigerator.

The first run are the temps of the sensors in "free air" (not bathed in a liquid). The control for both the freezer and the fridge (air damper) are at the minimum:

Freezer: Min: -17.3C (0.8F), Max: -8.0C (17.8F), Avg: -16C (3.20F)
Fridge: Min: -1.7C (29F), Max: 5.3C (41.5F), Avg: 0.4C (32F)

The second run was with the refrigerator digital sensor submerged in water. Temp dials always at minimum for both:

Fridge: Min: 1.0C (33.8F), Max: 2.0C (35.6F), Avg: 1.4C (34.5F)

The refrigerator temps to me seems too cool given I am using the lowest setting on both the freezer and the fridge controls.

Please let me know if this helps.

Old 09-30-09, 04:26 PM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You could try to calibrate the temp control. I just did one about an hour ago. The tiny tiny slotted screw was hiding under the control knob that I slid off first. I have learned of this trick to make your own mini-screwdriver by flattening the tip of a big paper clip. That is what I did. Tomorrow I go back there and see how I did, and fine-tune it some more if need be. The girls had the control set to about 1/2, and it was still freezing some stuff in the fridge. That is why they called the landlord. And the second fridge next to this fridge was leaking water. And they said the dryer smelled like fish, also.