GE Washer Cycling Too Quickly

Old 10-08-09, 01:42 PM
G
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question GE Washer Cycling Too Quickly

Hello all...

I have a model WJSR2080V3WW that we noticed was not wringing clothes completely. After running it a few times it became apparent that the spin cycle was cutting off far too soon (after about 10 seconds). This happens regardless of the type of wash cycle used, and it seems that the agitation period is short as well. Thinking the timer had gone bad, I've replaced it but there is no joy.

Any thoughts on where I should head next? Thanks!

Rick

Old 10-08-09, 04:36 PM
Upvotes: 0
only other thing besides timer would be the motor.
return timer if possible and get a working kenmore/whirlpool off craigslist perhaps.

Old 10-08-09, 05:05 PM
G
Since the motor spins up and THEN stops (sounds like the brake is kicking in as well), what's telling it to turn off again? It would seem that it's a relay somewhere and not the motor itself.

Rick

Old 10-08-09, 05:43 PM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
In theory, the motor(windings?) could be breaking down under heat only, and possibly also go out on thermal overload.

This is a tough one, to DIY.

If I were in your shoes I'd run the machine several times and pay real close attention as to when it stops agitating - and if the agitation in the wash cycle advances the timer, but then stops at the same place in the cycle everytime, even though the timer keeps going. Or if it is sporadic as to the length of time.

About the only way I can think of to test the motor is to completely bypass any switch (like an "out of balance switch", let's say, if it has one - does it?) and the timer - and hot wire to the motor for at least one of the cycles - to see if it still cuts out.

If it does, then it have to be the motor. But if it did NOT, then it be something else.
Second but -and just because say you honed in on it being the motor - if there was a drag on the way the shaft turns, then maybe the motor is only doing it's job by cutting out on thermal overload, when the real problem is in what is causing the drag!

I'd feel the motor to see if it is getting hot enough to fry an egg on it.

Last edited by ecman51; 10-08-09 at 05:48 PM. Reason: Mde changes + added

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: