Maytag/LG front load washer, acting weird

Old 10-10-09, 09:28 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Maytag/LG front load washer, acting weird

We have a Maytag (actually LG) front load MAH2400AWW, smaller washer. It's about 4 or 5 years old. Until now we've been pretty happy with it.

I was washing a load of "heavier" stuff, 3 sweatshirts, a pair of jeans and a long-sleeve cotton tee shirt. During the "rinse and spin" it started making a really loud noise and my wife stopped it before I could listen to it. She said it sounded like I had left some tools in the pockets.

When I got the door opened everything was OK with the clothes, nothing else in the drum to make a noise. BTW, I always turn clothes inside out so the zipper on the jeans and on the one sweatshirt with a zipper were on the inside.

I restarted it on "rinse and spin" and every time the pump is operating it sounds like there's a couple of bearings floating in the pump. At least I think it's the pump, not the gears because it's coming from the front, lower right side and it's not noisy during spinning unless the pump is running.

Anyway at the "5 minute" mark the "SUds" indicator came on and after a minute or so it just stopped operating. I pulled the clothes out, gave them a bit of a "hang wringing" and restarted it on "spin". At 5 minutes it gave the same "sudz" indicator.

I just restarted it again and I'll see what happens but thought I'd turn to my favorite website before proceeding.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

OK, assuming it was the pump I dropped the drain hose into a bucket on the floor and it drained completely and got all the way through. I guess I didn't notice how much water was still in the clothes because they're bulky and heavy even when dry.

So, pump?

Frank

Last edited by slumlordfrank; 10-10-09 at 09:48 AM. Reason: update
Sponsored Links
Old 10-10-09, 11:25 AM
before you buy a new pump lean her back against the wall and remove the pump then disassemble it. often once you remove the coins it will work fine

Old 10-13-09, 01:52 PM
Thanks David;

I tried that this morning, been away a couple of days, disassembled the pump, pulled the quarter out, reassembled it. The washer ran, and seemed to drain OK, but when it got down to 5 minutes, it flashed over to "suds" again and just sat there thinking and blinking.

I dropped the hose down into a bucket and restarted the machine on spin, about a liter or so of water came out and it ran through the rest of the cycle OK.

BTW, this unit is sure easy to access and work on.

I noticed on one of the parts sites that I visisted that the pump assembly was the number one selling part! I guess that's not too suprising, it's probably true on almost every washer.

Frank