Frigidaire refrigerator

Old 11-12-09, 10:35 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Frigidaire refrigerator

We have Frigidaire refrigerator model FRS26H5ASB9. This morning, we noticed a rattling noise coming from the back. Four hours later, we lost the cooling system. Could it be the compressor or something electric (capacitor,relay,etc)? How could I test it?

Thanks, DJ

Old 11-14-09, 03:17 PM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Let it cool down. Then try to run the fridge again and pay attention to if the compressor runs.

If you have coils under the very bottom of the fridge, there will be a fan back there, accessible behind a paperboard cover, usually on the right(as you view from the rear). You want to make sure that is spinning when the compressor runs. The blade may be hitting within it's housing. If that fan slow, from whacking something every revolution, you will lose a lot of the cooling ability, as the heat cannot be carried away from the warm-hot coils fast enough. This repair could be a DIY-able job, though.

If that is not the cause, then something may have fell apart in the compressor and that be bad news. The compressor can be checked out with a volt-ohm meter, to at least see if anything has gone awry electrically in the compressor. But this does not guarantee, even if the ohms tests checked out good, that there is not a mechanical failure, which would be an expensive repair involving getting out the refrigerant, changing the compressor, and recharging the system. People that have a typical moderately priced fridge, that has some years on it, often just replace the fridge, if that is the case.

Generally when the relay at the compressor fails, it clicks on and off in some repetitive cycle, in order to try to start the compressor. But normally, from my experience anyway, it does not rattle on it's own. Can't say for sure though, if say something fell apart in there just right, and was making bad contact in just the right mannor. I still think though that the predominant sound though would be clicking, from it trying to start the compressor.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: