Replace single-element burner with double-element?


Old 11-21-09, 10:06 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: pierce co washington
Posts: 1
Replace single-element burner with double-element?

I have an older GE range with single-element burners. The supporting bracket for one of the burners is broken. I happened onto a matching burner, but it has two elements. Can I use this one, connecting the 'hot' lead to both elements? This would put them in parallel.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-22-09, 05:18 AM
chandler's Avatar
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 39,967
Upvotes Received: 2
Welcome to the forums! Short answer, no. The double elements are controlled 1/2 and 1/2 by the control panel. In other words, when you call for high heat, both elements are in use. When a lower heat is called for on a wide pan, the outer element heats, and for a narrower pan, the inner one heats. The receptacle for the double element is twice as wide. I would go with the setup made for the stove for safety's sake. Deals are only deals if you can use them properly.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes