ice maker not making ice

Old 12-06-09, 10:38 AM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
ice maker not making ice

Hello all.

Background: I have a Frigidaire side by side ref/freezer. It's 5 years old. Don't have the model off hand, but can get it if needed.

Last week my wife noticed that the water dispenser was just producing a trickle of water, and the ice maker was not making any ice. I pulled the fridge away from the wall and removed the braided connection between the ref. and the shut off valve in the wall (the shutoff valve is connected to the copper line that is tapped into the cold water line under the house). When I opened the shut off valve...nothing. Ok, so I figure the tie-in to the water line is bad.

The tie in is/was a self tapping valve (not the greatest I know). I replaced it with a new one. I didn't want to cut the copper line and fit in a compression fitting, since plumbing is not my specialty.

When I tried the water dispenser, it worked fine. But still no ice.

I then pulled the fridge back out again, and removed the plastic line from the bottom of the fridge to the top, where the ice maker is. I inspected it, not leaks, kinks, or clogs. Then, I checked to see if any water would come out of the plastic line when it was just connected to the bottom of the unit. Nothing. I then removed the hose entirely, and checked to see if water would come out of the male fitting where the plastic line connects. Nothing.

The unit does have a filter, and it needed to be replaced. It is not in the unit at the moment. One question would be does the ice maker require that the filter is in place, or will it work without one?

At this point I'm beyond my scope of what I can do, without messing something up (A valuable lesson to learn for DIY'er I have learned). So my next move is to call the company or the repair man to get it fixed. One thing also...with the flap in the ON position, the mechanics of the ice maker do work, that is, the flap goes up and down, and the tines move up as to eject the cubes.

I just wanted to post here to see if I am missing anything that I could possibly check. I've defrosted the entire ice maker wit ha hair dryer, just in case there was some ice buildup.

Also, the ice maker has been giving us a little trouble over the past few years....too much ice, not enough, ice gets stuck/frozen in the maker, etc. So I'm wondering if it's done and needs repair any way.

Thanks all!

Matt

Last edited by fuente; 12-06-09 at 11:50 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-06-09, 12:40 PM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Sounds like you are at least a handy guy with mechanical and diagnostic skills. But it probably was not good to leave out the filter. I can't help you any more than what you yourself are doing, as I have not had much cause to ever work on water dispenser/icemakers. I had to work on one once at a commercial place I do work at, but that's about it for me. Like you, you take stuff apart and look and try to make sense of it all. You put a lot of effort in your post, and at least it has been getting some looks up to thsi point.

Old 12-06-09, 02:07 PM
F
Thanks. The filter was in the unit up until just a test run. Right now, the filter is not in the unit, and the ice maker is in the OFF position.

I can't find anywhere online or in the manual where it states that the filter MUST be installed, for either the water dispenser (it works just fine without the filter) or the ice maker.

Thanks again.
Matt

Old 12-07-09, 12:52 PM
F
anyone??? Really don't what to pay $100 for the repairman to come out and diagnose the problem.

Thanks,
Matt

Old 12-07-09, 05:20 PM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
If you have time on your hands, seeing this is not a dire emergency, maybe reading up on how they work can give you glues. My guess are there are quite a number of things that can make it so there is water to the dispenser, yet no ice. A skilled pro might go right to the problem in minutes, based on common causes. Maybe not.

You could search engine "How ice makers work". (For some reason I could not CCP it). It looks like a good article, with pics. If nothing else, you may learn more theory than what you know now.