Dryer troubleshooting

Old 12-13-09, 03:09 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Dryer troubleshooting

Hi,

I have some problems with my Kelvinator dryer. This dryer have certainly 10 years.

Problem description:

When I try to start the dryer, it starts but I need to keep my hand on the button to keep the dryer running. If I remove my hand on the button it stops. Other problem it when I keep my hand on the button it runs but after 20 secconds it stops and it is impossible to restart immediately the dryer. The dryer make no noise but it smells

I have removed all dryer parts and clean it with an aspirator.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-14-09, 03:14 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 71 Votes on 64 Posts
Model # Possible motor (dose it start after a hour or so?) Push to start switch couple things to check.

Old 12-14-09, 06:19 AM
G
The motor start. When the dryer stopped when I press the button, I wait around one minute and it is possible to restart the dryer. It is like if something comes hot and a protection system stop the dryer. This situation is very strange because this dryer work well but I never use it during around one year and when I try to use it again it does not work.

For the model number I do not have it presently but I give it to you in a other post

Old 12-14-09, 02:48 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 71 Votes on 64 Posts
dose not sound like motor usually takes 15 minutes or longer for thermo switch to reset.

Old 12-14-09, 03:36 PM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
If you took off the belt, did you see if it could be turned fairly easily by hand? It is possible, from your symptom(having to hold the start button), that there is a drag on the unit, and the start switch on console cannot get the centrigugal switch and the run winding of the motor to stay connected up on it's own (it should with just one quick push of the start button, normally). Make sure no idler pulley bearing drag, rear drum support roller or rear center-bearing drag, teflon glides worn out, rear bearing ball (if you have that) sunk in worn down socket causing extra friction with felt gasket at rear, or something partially jammed between blower wheel and housing.

Something I have never run into(but then again I do not work on dryers every minute of the day), but everything is possible, is that the contacts in the pushbutton start switch have gone south - and somehow by holding it in hard makes better contact. This would be your easiest and cheapest hope. Other than that it be some issue with the integral centrifugal switch, contacts or motor winding - IF, no other mechanical or jam malfunction, as mentioned.