Dishwasher Smell

Old 12-30-09, 11:17 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Dishwasher Smell

We barely use our dishwasher about once every two months for the past 3 years. We used it right after Thanksgiving and after that it started to smell like a rotten water odor. We ran it empty with hot water to hopefully flush it out. The smell disappeared for a little but then the smell just came back. What's the problem?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-30-09, 01:29 PM
Not sure what the problem is, but our dishwasher recently wasn't doing a great job. A friend told us about this stuff they used.

"Dishwasher cleaner"

You get it in the same spot in the grocery store as detergent, but DO NOT USE IT WHEN YOU'VE GOT DISHES IN THERE. It's meant to clean your dishwasher...the jets, drain, etc. It states this clearly on the label, but my buddy used it three times to clean his dishes.

I'd never heard of it before, but it worked for us.

Might get rid of the standing water smell in yours? Not sure.

Old 12-30-09, 01:41 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
A qt or 2 of white vinegar or a large bottle of lemon juice will work just as well. Dump it in during the long wash cycle...not the initial wash. Let it run for a few minutes...shut it off for a few..then let it finish.

Old 12-30-09, 03:45 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by MikeyBoy View Post
We ran it empty with hot water to hopefully flush it out. The smell disappeared for a little but then the smell just came back. What's the problem?
The problem is bacteria of rotting food matter just can't be killed with water heater type water temps. You maybe flushed out a lot of it when you ran it - but what was caked on the sides of stuff just remultiplied.

Old 12-30-09, 08:45 PM
I noticed some sitting water in the dishwasher which may be the cause of the bad smell. How do I fix this? If there is a clog in the drain hose should it have overflowed when we tried to run it through hot water? Please help!

Old 12-31-09, 05:43 AM
Here are some things to consider. There will always be some water in the dishwasher at the end of the cycle. However you shouldn't notice any just by looking inside the dishwasher (all assembled). It should be ran at least once or twice a week to prevent seals from swelling and water from stagnating. It is harder on the dishwasher to sit unused than using it.

Old 12-31-09, 06:56 AM
So, how do I get rid of the water that is in the dishwasher now?

Old 12-31-09, 06:51 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by MikeyBoy View Post
I noticed some sitting water in the dishwasher which may be the cause of the bad smell. How do I fix this? If there is a clog in the drain hose should it have overflowed when we tried to run it through hot water? Please help!
This is the first I have heard you say about overflowing. Please explain more. Also, whqat kind of method is used for your drain hose? Like, does it first go up toward the top of the sink hooked to an air-gap device, and then goes fropm there and hooks up either to a 1 1/2' sink drain tailpiece fitting?, or garbage disposer? Or does ithe drain go directly into a washing machine style stand pipe? Or ?.

Old 01-24-10, 12:38 AM
Using a dishwasher infrequently can allow odor-producing bacteria to form in the "sump assembly".
Most homeowners use the dishwasher quite often and therefore this odor does not occur.
The solution would be to use "Dishwasher Magic" available at Lowes/HomeDepot.
After the dishwasher has been cleaned & sanitized with Dishwasher Magic---it will be necessary to start a cycle every two to three days for about 5 minutes and then CANCEL the cycle to initiate the drain-then- shut-off-feature.
This keeps bacteria from cultivating in the dishwasher from inactivity.
On another note--make certain that the drain hose at the sink disposer is elevated above the disposer drain connection to prevent sink water from migrating back into the dishwasher. Whenever water from the sink/disposer can flow back into the dishwasher--this will always cause odor.