New Samsung dishwasher won't drain

Closed Thread

Old 01-08-10, 01:33 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
New Samsung dishwasher won't drain

I just installed my first dishwasher, a Samsung. About halfway through the first cycle I got a "Drain Error" code, and sure enough there's about 2-3" of water in the bottom of the dishwasher. I checked the drain hose, it's clear. The drain connection right below the sink is clear too. I thought the drain hose might be clamped somewhere, but it's all clear. I was able to siphon the water out of the bottom through the drain hose. Once all the water was out, I reinstalled the drain hose and ran the dishwasher. Same thing - about halfway through, drain error. Water in the bottom.

Any clues? It's a brand new dishwasher.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-08-10, 09:13 PM
Drain hose kinked behind the dishwasher? Do you hear the pump trying to drain the water out?

Old 01-09-10, 06:00 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
You didn't say, but is the drain hose connected to a garbage disposal? If so, is the knock-out removed?

Old 01-09-10, 07:36 AM
there's no disposal.

I suppose it could be that the hose is kinked but I can siphon the water out from the other end.

The first time I ran the dishwasher I think I heard it drain, but now it simply won't run at all unless I manually remove all the water from the bottom.

Old 01-09-10, 08:56 AM
Fishin' again............are you using an air gap at the top, or at least looping the drain hose to the highest point in your cabinet that you can and fastening it there? You must have a loop upward in it for it to drain properly.

Old 01-09-10, 09:34 AM
there's no air gap but I did loop the drain hose to the highest point.

I did think of one thing that I forgot...I didn't level the dishwasher. When I checked it this morning it's leaning slightly forward and to the right. I haven't fixed it yet but it struck me that this might be the problem. Does anyone know if this would cause a drain error?

Old 01-14-10, 08:32 AM
Well, leveling the dishwasher didn't help. About to put in a call to samsung. I think the drain pump may be defective, otherwise I'm just missing something.

Old 01-17-10, 09:00 AM
arrrrr samsung

Its nothing you did wrong to make this error code appear. I had the same problems with mine and am on my 4th samsung dishwasher. All 4 have had error code problems. 2 right out of the box and 2 not long after. It has been very frustrating, to say the least. I have an extended warrenty from Lowes thats why im on #4. I am now going to go with another brand. Please go with a different brand and save your self the greif. A service tech was sent to my house on the first dishwaser and said every thing was hooked up perfect and that I had a bad mother board. Instead of having a NEW dish washer that was all taken apart, I took it out and got a new one. I have done this 4 times. Its to bad because its a sharp looking dishwasher.

Old 01-23-10, 11:23 PM
Post the model & serial number as well as the actual error message displayed.

Old 01-26-10, 07:08 AM
Up-date: After reading great reviews I decided to go with a whirlpool gold. The dishwasher works great and matches my samsung stove and fridge pretty well. Thank god lowes took care of me. Samsung has a zero return or exchange policy, even if its a lemon. It makes me sick that I have given Samsung so much of my buisness after finding out that their customer service is so poor. Once again buyer beware

Old 01-26-10, 07:18 AM
What Lowes has done for you is commendable (and not unusual).

For the purpose of educating others that read forums such as this one---what was the error message displayed on the original Samsung dishwasher?

Old 01-26-10, 07:22 AM
The dishwasher was flashing a "5E" (or SE) error message, which the user manual refers to as a Drain Error

Old 01-26-10, 07:44 AM
Originally Posted by mberndt100 View Post
I just installed my first dishwasher, a Samsung. About halfway through the first cycle I got a "Drain Error" code, and sure enough there's about 2-3" of water in the bottom of the dishwasher. I checked the drain hose, it's clear. The drain connection right below the sink is clear too. I thought the drain hose might be clamped somewhere, but it's all clear. I was able to siphon the water out of the bottom through the drain hose. Once all the water was out, I reinstalled the drain hose and ran the dishwasher. Same thing - about halfway through, drain error. Water in the bottom.

Any clues? It's a brand new dishwasher.
One common cause of the 5E Error is--a pinched drain line behind the dishwasher.

All *tall tub dishwashers* usually require re-routing the drain and water supply hoses at a lower point through the cabinet. Using a holesaw--an entry point to allow the hoses to reach the connections under the sink---should be as low as possible---about 3" from the floor and 3" from the back wall.

Another hole will be necessary through the floor of the cabinet (under the sink) at the rear corner.

I usually patch the old holes with sheet metal and wood screws (short length).

This new routing of the drain & water lines will allow more room to push the dishwasher back further to be flush with the countertop as well as prevent crimping of the water & drain lines.

When installing a d/w---it's helpful to slide the d/w back about halfway and then take up the slack in the water & drain hoses through the hole under the sink. Slide the d/w until it is few inches from the back wall---again pull the water / drain hoses to prevent bundling of the hoses.

Another common occurence:

Some customers have stated: "The old dishwasher didn't clean the dishes very well and wasn't draining all of the dirty water out."
"I bought this expensive new dishwasher--and it doesn't perform much better than the old one!"

In many cases---this is likely a blockage at the sink air gap (chrome cap next to the sink) or a drain restriction at the sink disposer side discharge hole (or both).
Checking both of these is a must.

Old 06-14-12, 09:18 PM
SE drain error

I have ran accross this issue now twice and found the following. I pulled out the dishwasher and took apart the pump only to find a small plastic peice blocking the pump on the siphon side. Be careful, there is a flap( check valve if you will) built in to the unit, this does not need to be pulled out. After removing the peice the unit went back to running just fine. I also found where the plastic peice came from, the back portion of the top glide(where it says press) had broken off and been sucked into the pump. Just thought this might help others out there.

Old 06-19-12, 07:08 PM
This thread saved me a new dishwasher!

Installed a new garb disposal the other day and the dishwasher now won't pump out. Came here to ask for your help and the first note I read "did you knock out the seal in the disposal intake tube?? Heck no!! So now I have and I thank you guys very much. The wife has already been to Home Depot looking at new washers! Thanks a lot, fellers. Dixieflash

Old 06-20-12, 07:14 PM
rock and roll DF. Sometimes we have to cover the simple things first. Glad you discovered it before she bought a Bosch

Old 06-22-12, 05:21 PM
Dishwasher Pump Filter shot - any substitute filter material?

While I was trying to figure out why the DW wasn't pumping water out ( 'cause I forgot to knock out the seal on the new garb disposal), I took the octapus thing off of the motor part and found that the screen/filter material was about 80% gone. Washer is old but still working fine. Found new filters online for $70+ but I hesitate to put a new filter in a 1987 washer. Wondering if I can cover the old filter frame with some material like fine mesh, thin fiberglas cloth, or cheese cloth, or just one of the wife's old nylon stocking? Looks like about the same mesh and water passes thru it readily. Anyone run into this or tried this? Thx, Dixieflash

Old 05-06-13, 07:39 PM
Rtfm

Here I thought I had done SO WELL installing the new garbage disposal without even looking at the manual... so yeah, I didn't knock out the drain plug for the dishwasher drain and got the error code. At least after looking it up the thing is now behaving as it should!

Old 05-06-13, 08:01 PM
Group Moderator
Received 215 Votes on 204 Posts
Yup...... and the thread lives on

Old 05-07-13, 03:00 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 13 Votes on 13 Posts
Been there and done that, only difference was I did to mother's house in LA and I lived in Phoenix at the time. Another 4oo mile trip to fix.

Old 05-27-14, 02:19 PM
May 2014: I own a Samsung Diswasher model DMR77LHSXAC and I had 6 visit to repair it in the last 5 yrs, the quality of this product is terrible. My last experience I would like to share is the code 5E. Following troubleshooting to confirm the normal operation of the drain pump, which can be easily confirmed by removing it and selecting power to see if it will turn, I found out that the Drain Hose (P/N DD97-00137A) was leaking. Following the replacement of the hose, the code 5E was still present. As soon as the Quick start was started, 3-4 minutes later the code 5E will show up. I did remove the drain hose from under the sink to see if something was bloking the water from going out of the diswasher. All this to say that the problem was really simple, I installed the Drain Hose the wrong way. There is a check valve in this hose which needs to be installed at the diswasher, not under the sink....There is no mention of this check-valve in any blog or in the Samsung Service Manual which can be found on the web, really helpfull document with the exception of the check-valve in the hoise.

Old 05-25-15, 08:48 AM
in the end of every wash sequence, the dishwasher will flush the drain hose with almost clean warm water (approx 40deg C ). So if your dishwasher operates on weekly (daily) basis it should newer comes a problem with the drain. My drain hose goes around, up and down in the kitchen, and have never stopped. But; have just had the error code 5E!
Started finding the failure and found that the switch for empty dirt water where blocked with dirt. Cleaned it and the error disappeared. If the control system are not getting the signal for empty dirt water, it will continue pumping up and after a while a timer will set the error if it not gets the signal from the level switch. :-) Fixed !

Old 05-25-15, 04:33 PM
Group Moderator
Received 215 Votes on 204 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Thanks for the additional information. I can see this is a hot topic based on thread views. There won't be any more replies accepted in this thread but it will always remain in our searchable archive area for future reference.

If you have a question or this thread hasn't helped you.... please feel free to start a new one for further assistance.

Closed Thread