Maytag Washer question

Old 01-11-10, 05:06 PM
M
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maytag Washer question

This is a LA112 model series 10 Maytag washing machine and its probably about a 1986 model. Recently it doesnt want to agitate. Makes a squealing/whiny noise and starts to smell kinda hot. It does spin ok, just takes a little bit of time to get up to speed. Very inconsistent, works on one load, then not the next. I replaced both belts and it made no difference at all.

2nd question...is the motor in the front left corner at the bottom supposed to move so easily. The springs on it offer no resistance. It moves over easily and the belts are very loose then. Seems like it should stay in place and hold tension, but I don't know. Total greenhorn on appliances.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 01-11-10, 05:42 PM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We may have had that very machine in a rental once. Is it the one that has the motor inside the front left cabinet, but the pulleys and belts actaully are hanging down under the entire cabinet? And the motor kinda can slide?

I remember staring at that thing, after i opened it up, woondering how on earth that the belts can get and stay tight. But discovered that they do when rotation starts to occur and it grabs.

I wish I could help you more decide as to what is actually the culprit. On mine the real issue was the bearing at the bottom of the tub got dried out and could no longer allow the shaft the agitator is on to turn freely anymore. I was fooled into thinking the loose belt was the cause, and got another belt, and that did not help. It was only after I exposed that bearing down in the bottom, and forced in grease that I ended the troubles I was having, like you.

And then I noticed that even though the belts were loose, that once the rotation started, the motor would slide and make the belt get tighter.

Old 01-12-10, 06:12 AM
M
Originally Posted by ecman51` View Post
Is it the one that has the motor inside the front left cabinet, but the pulleys and belts actaully are hanging down under the entire cabinet? And the motor kinda can slide?
That describes it to a tee, and what you said about the bearing makes sense. I will take a look after work today and see about greasing it.

Old 01-12-10, 05:53 PM
E
I can't remember exactly how to get at that bearing. One thing I do remember is the agitator is held onto the shaft by a somewhat sneakily hidden lock scew(maybe with a hex head) that goes through the SIDE of the upper part of the agitator.

I figured out how to take things apart and access, on the spot, myself, without asking anyone. I do not like inanimate objects ever getting the best of me. That is how I am. I remember to get this like hub off, that was ontop of and covering the bearing/seal, I had to use a cold chisel and hammer I think to get it to unscrew, as I did not have any proper tool to unscrew it with. And I can't recall if it is right or left thread. I think I tried banging it both ways, and then it came. But which way?, I can't remember.

I wrote all about how to do it on the back of the machine. Only for the rental property to have been sold some months back. Otherwise I'd run over there and get you the info. BTW -that was college girl rental house and they washed clothes like crazy. The cobbley, jam in the grease repair job, held up for that year anyway, until the place was sold.

There is very little room between the inner and outer race to force the grease into, but I managed. It brought a smile to my face when I compared before and after - how I could barely rotate the pulley down below that inturn rotates the agitator shaft - and then after I greased it, it turned like butter. No grease got on clothes afterwards either, once the parts were reinstalled. I remember asking myself how the factory grease could have disappeared without the seal leaking water onto the floor, also. Can't recall if I ever was able to answer that question.

I think the job all told, including me laying the machine on it's back so I could get at the pulleys and belts and to observe, grab, rotate (and remember, I could hardly rotate it), - then standing the machine back up, and figuring out how to get the agitator off (*that screw*), and then pondering, then actually removing the basket?, hub, etc. took about 1 1/2 hours? to when I was able to add water and run the machine, with a successful conclusion.

Old 01-13-10, 04:58 PM
M
well...baby steps...got the hex screw out now to figure out the hub

Old 01-13-10, 05:15 PM
E
Well, I did, for what that is worth. You could always photo it and let the washer experts here get in on this also. Everyone likes show and tell pictures anyway.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: