So...any good? (Dishwasher Problem)

Old 01-26-10, 09:48 AM
Super Moderator
So...any good? (Dishwasher Problem)

Ok...we pretty much need a new dishwasher, have repaired this old baby apart 2 times, all the rack tines are worn and rusty, etc etc. Have been checking online and locally. Wife found this Frigidaire #FGBD2432KF at Sears for what appears to be a killer price (http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...5303000P?mv=rr), and we also have a small gift card for them.

It's not a super fancy and I didn't want that anyway..but it has a few features I like, like the non-hidden controls and fold down tines, removable silverware basket and appears to be very quiet. Don't need a SS tub and don't care about hidden controls.

Anyway..I see some Frigidaire stuff is a little more prone to problems...but looking at CR it seems like its almost negligible.
I would like to eliminate electronic controls..but that appears almost impossible unless I get the cheapest loudest plainest model.

So.....opinions?

TIA

Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-10, 10:31 AM
I totally agree with you that eliminating the microprocessor controls will likely give you a more reliable dishwasher, but the manufacturers don't see it that way. As you noted, only the cheapest, entry-level dishwashers come with the electro-mechanical timers. I still like the ability to manipulate the cycle manually if I want to, and you can't do that with the fancy electronic timers.

My vote would be for a Whirlpool-built model. Between my parents and myself, we've owned three Whirlpools and have good luck with them. I've also owned three GE's/Hotpoints and had problems, but mostly with their older "tuff-coat" vinyl coated metal tubs, which they've discontinued. Frigidaire used to be good stuff when GM still owned them. I think their reputation had slipped since their acquisition by White Consolidated Industries. I don't know much about them since their acquisition by Electrolux.

My current Whirlpool dishwasher is 18 years old and has never needed repair, but being a bachelor, I don't cook much and run it perhaps twice a week. When it dies, I plan to go back with another Whirlpool.

Old 01-26-10, 11:02 AM
Super Moderator
Yeah...I agree a WP would probably be an excellent choice. They are rated a little higher than the Frig (I'll abbr everything, my fingers are complaining...lol) for repairs...but the equiv specs would run at least $250-300 more.

We prob run 2 normal loads a week, just dishes, pots and pans get done by hand mostly.

btw...my Dad worked for Frig for 30 yrs. Was a regional Service Manager, handled 7 states in the midwest. Back in the good old days ya know, always wore suits, had a secretary, his own offices, company cars, new appliances every year, great health plan, great retirement, product conventions (I remember San Diego, HI, New Orleans, San Fran, Atlanta...all over)..etc etc. Boy..those days are long gone.

Old 01-26-10, 02:14 PM
dwasher

With heavy usage my Magic Chef has been a good one for the past 17 years and is still going!! Knock on wood.

Old 01-26-10, 03:07 PM
Super Moderator
Well...its moot now....order was placed.

btw...I should have just ordered from home. Went to the store and they used the same system I would have from my PC...but couldn't apply the $7 discount. That was prob the sales commission..so I let the old guy keep it. I did have to show him how to remove items from the shopping cart though.....lol. Not exactly a wonderful salesman..but seemed like a nice guy.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Old 01-26-10, 04:35 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Vic, a little too late, but we just got the Gallery for our kitchen. The first Frigidaire had problems. The casing began to cave in and the top wand would hit the glasses and fall off. The manufacturer replaced it at no charge. I did note on the new unit, there was an evacuation fan on the top that the old one didn't have. Possibly to take care of the excessive heat of the process and to keep the carcass from melting.
The new one is OK, but I still would opt for a better unit, maybe one with an emaciater on it.

Old 01-26-10, 05:08 PM
Super Moderator
Larry...durn...well we'll see. The thing is this was $500 anywhere I looked so I thought it was a good deal. Was it the same model? Did you have the problem with heat dry? We'll prob use air dry most time. Jeez...maybe this was why it was on sale.

btw...what the heck is a "emaciater"? Is that what the Hollywood starlets get when they don't want to eat? lol

I know...macerator..right? The food grinder upper thing?

Old 01-26-10, 05:14 PM
Originally Posted by chandler View Post
Vic, a little too late, but we just got the Gallery for our kitchen. The first Frigidaire had problems. The casing began to cave in and the top wand would hit the glasses and fall off. The manufacturer replaced it at no charge. I did note on the new unit, there was an evacuation fan on the top that the old one didn't have. Possibly to take care of the excessive heat of the process and to keep the carcass from melting.
The new one is OK, but I still would opt for a better unit, maybe one with an emaciater on it.

The vent motor is to assist the drying cycle by pulling steam out through the electronically operated vent (closed during the wash cycle).

Most dishwashers have a *macerator*. A dull/flat blade that is used primarily to break up food debris---such as noodles.

Old 01-26-10, 05:29 PM
Originally Posted by Gunguy45 View Post
Ok...we pretty much need a new dishwasher, have repaired this old baby apart 2 times, all the rack tines are worn and rusty, etc etc. Have been checking online and locally. Wife found this Frigidaire #FGBD2432KF at Sears for what appears to be a killer price (http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...5303000P?mv=rr), and we also have a small gift card for them.

It's not a super fancy and I didn't want that anyway..but it has a few features I like, like the non-hidden controls and fold down tines, removable silverware basket and appears to be very quiet. Don't need a SS tub and don't care about hidden controls.

Anyway..I see some Frigidaire stuff is a little more prone to problems...but looking at CR it seems like its almost negligible.
I would like to eliminate electronic controls..but that appears almost impossible unless I get the cheapest loudest plainest model.

So.....opinions?

TIA
Frigidaire dishwashers of late have been relatively problem-free.
In the earlier part of this decade--there were more than a few annoying issues.
This dishwasher is an excellent value for the money. Very few electronic control boards fail overall. Electrolux (Swedish company) owns this brand.
The noise level is agreeable to most consumers---quiet but not the quietest.
In my experience---most dishwashers will function problem-free for four to eight years before some type of fault develops.

My personal favorite was the old Hobart-built KitchenAid--those dishwashers were very,very well made---sorta like *everything* that John Moses Browning designed & built by hand as a blacksmith/gunsmith.

Yes---those days are long gone indeed.

Old 01-26-10, 06:16 PM
Group Moderator
I see it is an energy star appliance. Don't forget to see if you can apply it for your 2010 tax credit. Its your money after all!

Old 01-27-10, 02:18 PM
Vic, I thought a "macerator" was what cops used to subdue bad guys. Oh well, my redneck dictionary (ie spell check) didn't kick it out so I thought I was cool. Thanks for the correction.
John63, the first Frigidare we had, which was almost identical to this replacement (so not sure if it was a Gallery or not) did not have the vent fan. The service guy looked at the tub and said it was collapsing due to the heat generated by the water and the heat dry cycle. He was amazed it lasted as long as it did. As I said, Frigidaire replace it free of charge, thankfully.
Now back to the little garbage disposer thingy built in to the dishwasher....I guess I should rinse my dishes a little better and not rely on that thing to do what I think it should, huh???

Hey! spell check kicked out "macerator".....go figure.

Larry

Old 01-27-10, 09:39 PM
[QUOTE=chandler;1685623]Vic, I thought a "macerator" was what cops used to subdue bad guys. Oh well, my redneck dictionary (ie spell check) didn't kick it out so I thought I was cool. Thanks for the correction.
John63, the first Frigidare we had, which was almost identical to this replacement (so not sure if it was a Gallery or not) did not have the vent fan. The service guy looked at the tub and said it was collapsing due to the heat generated by the water and the heat dry cycle. He was amazed it lasted as long as it did. As I said, Frigidaire replace it free of charge, thankfully.
Now back to the little garbage disposer thingy built in to the dishwasher....I guess I should rinse my dishes a little better and not rely on that thing to do what I think it should, huh???

Hey! spell check kicked out "macerator".....go figure.

Yes and no.

Proctor and Gamble had (maybe it's still there) a website article that was rather interesting.
Dishwashing detergent cleans WITHOUT lather--unlike shampoo or handsoap.
The d/w detergent needs protein available in the tub to adequately clean dishes.
Leave messy liquids on the plates--but no solids of any kind.
(ketchup-mustard-gravy-syrup-salad dressing-meat juice etc)

All noodles/peas/corn/fish bones/excessive bread crumbs should be scraped off into trash or sink disposer.

Even more interesting---this was provided to me from a manufacturer in response to a Tech Assistance question about a new dishwasher that functioned perfectly but was NOT adequately cleaning the glassware...

Vegetarian-diet consumers are advised to add (2) Tablespoons of the cheapest cooking oil (dollar store variety) to the tub before starting a d/w cycle. This is due to very low protein residue on dishware in homes of which ALL family members are on a vegetarian diet.

Old 01-28-10, 02:59 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Have Frigidare DW that is nothing but trouble 4 to 5 years old on third or forth user interface panels ( some under warranty, 70 or 120 each panel) a couple not. Having same problem again. Going to redo kitchen and hope I can keep it running until than, Will replace with something else.

Old 01-31-10, 07:49 AM
Super Moderator
Well, jeez...lost a whole post!.....what's this "token has expired" crap?

Anyway to recap...got it in, seems real quiet, only one trip to the store for parts needed.

Anyone know what "Hd" on the display means? It just showed up in the middle of the initial cleanout cycle..no beeping or flashing or anything.

Oh...and they screwed up the online ad...
When I ordered, it listed for $540 and was on sale for $300...but the $300 was only supposed to be for the black and white models which listed for $440 regularly.

They changed the ad and now this one is on sale for $486....$186 more than I paid, not too bad a deal I'd say. Of course we probably would have just got the solid black if the ad had been right. Maybe I should go down and volunteer to pay the difference? lol

Old 01-31-10, 07:56 AM
Super Moderator
Testing.....testing...testing....guess its ok now....

Old 01-31-10, 12:39 PM
Research "dishwasher error codes". I got onto Frigidaire link only to have computer freeze up. It is not the site, it is my computer. Ready to heave it out a window. Had to unplug and reboot up to get back here just to tell you that. Also found other site that lists all kinds of codes for various machines, but did not include the Frigidaire. I bet you can find it. One poster who asked same question as you!, said he thinks it stands for "Hold". That it is a hold code. But he got no replies.

Old 01-31-10, 12:50 PM
The owner manual usually identifies the definition of non-error messages.

Some Frigidaire models will display an "HO" during the middle part of the cycle. The means: *Heating Option*
This simply indicates that the countdown clock is in a hold-pattern until the wash water has reached a specific heated temperature. At which point--the flashing "HO" goes out and the *Time Remaining* minutes returns to the display.

In your dishwasher--this may be *Heating Delay*

I'll post when I can verify this for you (or someone else will).

Old 02-01-10, 03:40 AM
Yes, HD indicates "heat delay" on the Gallery.

Old 02-01-10, 11:40 AM
Super Moderator
Thanks guys! That makes sense...it was probably heating the water for the second wash cycle. Didn't do it on the first cycle cause we ran the sink hot water before starting.

Well, washed a light load yesterday...worked pretty well. May have to buy more dishes so we can wait longer between loads. Its got much more room inside than the old one. Still learning how to load what and where.

And it's odd, no mention of this at all..like I said..the manual is very basic. Maybe because mine was made in Mar 2009...lol.

Old 02-02-10, 09:10 AM
Super Moderator
Hey TI...
Can't find anything on tax credits for appliances....any links? Course this will be for next year...so guess I just need to keep the p-work around. Shoulda waited for the stupid state rebate program in March..missed out on $75. Of course then I wouldn't have goteen such a great deal...lol

Old 02-02-10, 07:57 PM
Appliance replacement incentives are administered at the state level and are different in every state. For Arizona, go to Appliance Rebate Program | Arizona Energy Office
You will get $75 or $125 depending on estimated energy use of the new dishwasher, but you only have 14 days after purchase to apply.

Doug M.

Old 02-02-10, 08:00 PM
Scratch that. Arizona's program doesn't begin until March. Sorry...

Doug M.

Old 02-03-10, 05:20 AM
Doug, don't do that to an old man. $125? His heart would palpate at that, and you pull the rug.....Hey Vic. A little early on that one.

Old 02-03-10, 06:56 AM
Super Moderator
Yeah...but like I said..wouldn't have got the mis-advertised price...so I guess I'm still ahead..plus I have a shiny new quiet dishwasher.

Old 02-03-10, 07:29 AM
Originally Posted by Gunguy45 View Post
Thanks guys! That makes sense...it was probably heating the water for the second wash cycle. Didn't do it on the first cycle cause we ran the sink hot water before starting.
Also, on many dishwashers, the first wash cycle is kind of a pre-wash to get rid of the easy stuff. The second cycle is usually the real wash cycle where the soap is dispensed and is much longer than the first cycle. It is during this second wash that the water is heated.

Same thing with the santizing rinse option if you use that. Its only the final rinse that's heated, not all of them. At least on my dishwasher! Beer 4U2