Washer agitates only on delicate cycle

Old 01-29-10, 08:06 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Washer agitates only on delicate cycle

My maytag washer model mav408daww legacy series
only works well on the delicate cycle. When turn the knob to other cycles it just sits there.
Someone told me it could be the timer and someone else told me that it could be the trasmission. Am i stuck or what? First time doing this. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-10, 09:35 PM
This can be a faulty timer or motor.
Transmissions failed in huge numbers in this particular model washer. Water tank seals leaked. Belts wore-out faster than other top loading washers. The tub brake assembly often squeals loudly at the end of the spin cycle.

I call this washer the *Expedient Washer*.
It was a means to an end.
Originally--the design was from the Norge brand--later it became Magic Chef.
Maytag purchased this brand as a means of offering a cheaper-to-manufacture washer under its own Maytag brand name. With a cheaper pricetag than Maytag-built machines.

The Norge-design kept getting altered or modified through the years to squeeze every penny of savings in manufacturing.
The original Norge design was far more robust than the last-of-its-kind Maytag branded machine

This washer had--for a family of four--an average useable life of 4 to 6 years.

This washer should be replaced--simply due to the weak design and very minimal return for the money spent getting it operational again.

Old 01-30-10, 05:39 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 25 Votes on 24 Posts
Could not agree with John more, Washer has a lot of problems, Surprised it not tub is not banging sides by now, Another known problem.

Old 01-30-10, 10:38 AM
Question Washer agitates only on delicate cycle

As I said: Am I stuck or what?

Ok. Since my washer has not shown signs of all the other major problems listed... YET, I'd like to try to get maybe a couple of years more out of this thing.
If you had to bet on a diagnosis between timer, transmission or motor. Which would you pick. Again... the only problem I'm having right now is the fact that it will not wash in any other cycle other than the delicate. Everything else is working ok, so far.
Thanks a lot for your help you guys.

Old 01-30-10, 12:56 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Any hum sound or anything when it just sits there? From a logic standpoint, you would not think it be the transmission if say nothing was even running at all. Some other function would have to tell the transmission to get going. That's my opinion, anyway.

By jumping the right wires at the timer, one could probably tell if it is the timer. The more cycle features a washer has, the more sets of contact points there are. There can be so many that they piggy back layer them in the timer box.

Do you have a separate switch you can manually switch between permanent press and regular? - or is this simply on the timer dial? If only on the timer dial, then that would eliminate any other such switch as the culprit.

Last edited by ecman51; 01-30-10 at 01:11 PM. Reason: added more
Old 01-30-10, 01:46 PM
No humming sound. Just sits there on the regular cycle at any setting that I move the dial knob to. On the wrinkle control cycle only the spin setting works and everything works at the delicates cycle.

Old 01-30-10, 02:31 PM
A wrinkle setting too? Is all that written around the perimeter of the timer dial, with no separate switches? if so, it sure sounds like a messed up timer, to me. But don't go rushing off to buy the timer just because I am thinking it is. Let a moderator come here and give you the go ahead to buy one.

Old 01-30-10, 02:40 PM
Yes. It's all around the knob. No separate switch. I wait a lttle longer since I still can use that delicate cycle, but I sure wish it's something as simple as the timer. Thanks.

Old 01-31-10, 05:15 AM
buy the timer from repairclinic.com, they let you return parts that are not needed.....

Old 01-31-10, 08:10 AM
Smile

Awesome. Will do. Thanks a lot you guys.

Old 01-31-10, 12:53 PM
Originally Posted by David_Thompson View Post
buy the timer from repairclinic.com, they let you return parts that are not needed.....
You mean you can try it - then return it - if that did not do it for you? If that is the case that is going right in my (comparable to) Rolodex!

I wonder if such a generous bonus as this comes at some premium price? And if so, how much? Perhaps a restocking charge of say $20 or ?, if no other markup? Still - may be worth the gamble, if you are pretty sure what the problem is. And they are willing to do this on electrical components?

Old 05-25-10, 10:55 AM
Question Maytag washer agitates and spins only on delicate cycle - LAT7793

My LAT7793 (purchased in 1993) fills on any cycle but only agitates and spins on delicate. Regular and Permanent Press only fill. The timer advances on Reg and PP. Only noise after it fills is the timer clicking.

I figured since the timer clicked, tub turns by hand, no squealing or burning rubber to indicate a slipping belt, it must be the motor. Got a used one on eBay. Same problem.

Is the timer the only reasonable culprit left? How hard is it to open the timer to clean or check the contacts? Looks easy from the outside but figure I should ask (at least I have delicate cycle now, which is better than nothing).

New timer is about $125. Rebuilt/used ones seem to be $80-95.

If anyone has a copy of the LAT7793 wiring diagram, please email me a copy!

Thanks in advance for any help on this.