New Dishwasher Leak

Old 02-06-10, 02:42 AM
Received 5 Votes on 1 Post
New Dishwasher Leak

I had a new Whirlpool Model DU945PWSQ installed about 2 weeks ago. When the man installed it we ran it through a cycle and there were no leaks. I've ran it maybe 3 times since then and have noticed the floor is wet in front of the door. It's not wet when the dishwasher is running but some time later I notice the rug in front of it is wet. Now the laminate is beginning to bubble. Yikes!
There were 2 samples of Quantum Finish dishwasher tablets that came with the dishwasher. I threw 1 in the open cup and poured Cascade into the cup that closes. I went to the Finish website and it looks like that 1 tablet is all you need. *Gulp*.
I guess that could be the culprit. But I have also used the washer with Cascade in both cups and it still leaks later.
If anyone can suggest something to me, I'd sure appreciate it. You guys are still the greatest for helping me.
People cannot believe I get help from a DIY forum but you've all helped me so much....well, I just really appreciate you.
Hey, I did do a search before I posted....LOL

Old 02-06-10, 06:02 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Been there. Too much detergent, although it doesn't suds like regular soap, will cause a sudsing then the enzymes start to work. I have a new Frigidaire Gallery and it did the same thing. It was leaking out the door!!! The shut off valve located in the bottom stops water at a really safe level so as to keep water from overflowing in the tub. However the over sudsing will cause a rise in water level and water will leak from the door seal. I think you have solved your own problem, knowing less detergent is better. I am now using the concentrated Cascade, with none in the prewash and only 1/2 full in the main door. It seems to clean just fine and I get no more sudsing leak.
Let us know if using less detergent solves your problem.

Old 02-06-10, 07:01 AM
Oh wow, thanks for letting me know. I'll keep an eye on it for the next week or two and let you know. Thanks again!

Old 02-20-10, 03:01 PM
Using less detergent hasn't solved the problem.
I'll run a load of dishes- no leaks. The next day and the day after- still no leaks.
Then I run my washing machine. A day later there's water seeping from under the dishwasher.
I must be nuts! I can't figure this out.

Old 02-20-10, 06:07 PM
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Do you hear it physically drain? If I remember correctly, I didn't hear mine gurgle like it normally did before. Now it is all fine. Could have been the impeller or some food caught up in the drain, don't know.

Old 02-20-10, 08:25 PM
Yes, I hear it drain. I just can't figure this out

Old 02-22-10, 04:34 PM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Have you taken that toe-kick plate off the bottom (usually 2 or 4 screws) and actually taken a look under there when the dishwasher runs, and then when the washing machine runs?

Last edited by ecman51; 02-22-10 at 07:16 PM.
Old 02-22-10, 06:26 PM
J
Contact Whirlpool.
This is covered as a warranty repair.

The leak may be caused by an improper install. If the door does not close as it should (rubbing the frame before latching) this can cause a leak.

The drain hose may have been damaged during installation (pin hole).

The hot water supply line and/or the water valve connector may be dripping. This an install issue.

The wash motor or drain motor may be leaking if the installer was not careful and accidentally bumped or forced the dishwasher while sliding the unit under the counter.

Excessive suds can leak at the bottom of the door during the wash cycle. Owners that have a water softener system in the home should use only 1 to 2 teaspoons of detergent per wash. If suds is present--add 2 tablespoons of *cooking oil* to the d/w and run the unit for 3 minutes. This will remove all suds quickly.
Start a new cycle using 1 to 2 teaspoons of quality/name brand detergent. This resolves any suds issue and leaking at the bottom of the door.

Old 02-22-10, 07:39 PM
WOW! Good answers to look into.
I don't think it's the suds as I have cut WAY down on the detergent.
No, not yet have I "taken a look under there when the dishwasher runs, and then when the washing machine runs." I think that's because the leak doesn't show up when I run the appliances.
I ran the washer yesterday- no leaking has shown up.
I ran the dishwasher today- still no leaking has shown up. It's bone dry on the floor right now.
It seems to show up a day or so later if that makes any sense.

"The leak may be caused by an improper install. If the door does not close as it should (rubbing the frame before latching) this can cause a leak.

The drain hose may have been damaged during installation (pin hole).

The hot water supply line and/or the water valve connector may be dripping. This an install issue.

The wash motor or drain motor may be leaking if the installer was not careful and accidentally bumped or forced the dishwasher while sliding the unit under the counter."

Is all of the above covered by Whirlpool? Or would an "improper install" be something I should contact the installer about?
Thank you all so much!

Old 02-22-10, 08:22 PM
J
Definitely contact the installer first.
If the installer finds nothing out of order or is unwilling to return--notify Whirlpool.

Do NOT divulge information other than--a leak has occurred.

In many training seminars--the manufacturer-trainer will advise servicers to keep the specifics of a fault to a minimum and just repair the appliance that is under warranty.

In other words--if a consumer informs the servicer that a coffee mug was dropped onto a ceramic-top of a range and cracked it--leave that statement out and replace the range top.

Most (although not all) warranty managers are concerned more about keeping a post-sale consumer happy rather than disappointed. A satisfied customer will most likely continue purchasing the same brand of appliances if they feel that they have been treated very well while the product was under warranty.

Old 02-26-10, 04:33 AM
I haven't contacted the installer yet.
This morning I got up and the floor was damp. There is water seeping up from underneath the laminate. It's about 3 feet in front of the dishwasher. When I step around on it in different places water seeps up. Not a lot but enough to know this is not good.
What could this be?
Thanks again.

Old 02-26-10, 08:35 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Does the laminate flooring extend to under the dishwasher, or is there just plywood subfloor under it? Is there any evidence of wetness under the dishwasher itself?

Old 02-26-10, 03:17 PM
Originally Posted by Beachboy View Post
Does the laminate flooring extend to under the dishwasher, or is there just plywood subfloor under it? Is there any evidence of wetness under the dishwasher itself?
Thank you for your help.
The laminate does extend under the dishwasher up to the wall underneath.
The floors in the rest of the house are oak underneath. I don't know what the subflooring is for sure in the kitchen. I'm not sure if the wetness is under the dishwasher or not. I think I'll have to see about pulling the dishwasher out so I can get a look back there. I know the electrical part is hard wired.
When the gentleman installed it he made the comment that it will never leak.

Old 02-26-10, 05:31 PM
E
Why do you have to pull the dishwasher out, to see if it is leaking under there? ???

Old 02-27-10, 06:35 AM
Originally Posted by ecman51` View Post
Why do you have to pull the dishwasher out, to see if it is leaking under there? ???
Well, I guess I don't. But I thought you wanted me to be specific.
Yesterday morning it was damp on the floor directly in front of the dishwasher. It was damp to about 3 feet out in front of the dishwasher. When I stepped on certain planks a bit of water seeped up.
For some reason I don't think it's the dishwasher. But this leak didn't start until after the dishwasher was installed.
I'm wondering- should I have my plumber come take a look or should I have the installer come back? I'm thinking the plumber would have better knowledge about this than the installer as he is just a handy-man.
Once again, thank you.
Now- this morning there is no water seeping up when I step on a plank. I haven't run the clothes washer or the dishwasher.

Old 02-27-10, 11:08 AM
E
You haven't removed the front toe-kick access panel yet to simply take a peek to see if it is dripping down from the underbelly of that dishwasher? -either when running or turned off? Or to see or speculate if say it is eminating from a supply pipe that goes to the kitchen sink instead?, such as the purported "flooding floor/leaking dishwasher" I got called to, a couple months ago, that was caused by that instead?

Old 02-27-10, 11:24 AM
I took it off and there is no water nor does there appear to be a leak under the dishwasher. Thank you for stressing to take the kick plate off. I should have done that before.
I looked under the sink at the lines and there doesn't appear to be any leaking there. I turned on the faucet and let it run looking around under the dishwasher but didn't see water appearing anywhere.

Old 02-27-10, 12:51 PM
E
Make sure no signs of water running down backside of kitchen faucet supply lines. That is what the case was with my supposed leaky dishwasher service call. Water leaks can leak and lime over then releak again, you know.

Leave coverplate off and run dishwasher and see if leak happens then, - during fill, wash, rince, or drain.

Also make sure nothing with the sink draining is the cause, either. You might also want to try to run the dishwasher and faucet at same time, and also if you have a second floor with plumbing up there, run stuff up there also, including flushing toilets to see if water backs up downstairs. Leave no stone unturned.

Is there an outside wall that could have water entering the house from the outside, like from some ice dam and snowmelt effect? Rule that out also.

Old 02-27-10, 04:45 PM
Originally Posted by ecman51` View Post
Is there an outside wall that could have water entering the house from the outside, like from some ice dam and snowmelt effect? Rule that out also.
Funny that you ask. I live in a small one story house. It has a crawl space outside with a wooden piece for a closer. This wooden door-like piece was open for awhile. How long awhile is, I don't know. Maybe a few weeks. I close it, then I'd find it open. I figured my cat was opening it. Lately I closed it and it's stayed closed.
It's icky under there so I don't want to go under there! I'll call a plumber if that might be what the cause is.
Could there me water under there that would come up under the floor?

Old 02-27-10, 05:15 PM
E
Is that door literally right behind (and of course lower than) the dishwasher area? The only thing that would make any sense would be if you are in real cold country, and the crawl space joists were uninsulated, and the cold was hitting the floor and condensing on the warm side under the dishwasher. I have never heard of any such scenario as that though.

Unless your leak was some one-shot deal, I'd work on replicating the leak. I sorta doubt the access door issue is it. But? - can't rule it completely out either, unless you are not in the part of the country where it gets that cold.

Look at what happens to toilet tanks when they sweat. They can really start pooling water on the floor.

The reason I thought to mention the outside is - this commercial building I take care of has a slab on grade where under the right conditions of how the ice forms outside next to the slab - if roof snow melts off the metal roof when the sun shines, it comes off the roof and lands next to the building - and the ice, out about a foot from the building, serves as an unwanted dam, and instead of flowing away from.......it enters the building. This year the management is going to try to rectify this problem.

Old 02-27-10, 05:31 PM
Yes, I know it sounds unlikely. But maybe there is something under the house causing the seeping. I'll contact a plumber on Monday.
I live in Kansas City and have we had the snow this year! But even with the cold and snow I can't see how the seeping can be from that, but who knows.
When I find out I will post back.
Thank you so much for your help and time.

Old 02-27-10, 06:45 PM
E
Ya but......don't just go wasting your money needlessly either.

First see if running the dishwasher and plumbing causes it to resurface. And actually look to see if you see it comes from somewhere.

This checking part should be DIY-able. Only call the cavalry if you find say a plumbing problem or major appliance problem you feel uncomfortable fixing. Finding the water source should be a cost-free and interesting project for you.

Old 02-27-10, 08:21 PM
Okay, I'll do it and let you know. Thanks.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: