Kenmore 80 series won't drain or spin

Old 02-22-10, 07:48 PM
Kenmore 80 series won't drain or spin

Hi. Have a Kenmore 80 series washer that won't drain or spin. Model 110.20872990. It will agitate, so coupler is fine. I removed the pump and it is fine. When it gets to the spin cycle, there is a loud hum from the motor, and after a few seconds, it trips the circuit breaker in my house panel. I cannot turn the drum or agitator by hand once it tries to spin. Sounds like something jammed in the transmission maybe?

Any help would be appreciated!

Last edited by howie39; 02-22-10 at 07:49 PM. Reason: changed notify options
Sponsored Links
Old 02-23-10, 03:32 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Most common problem for no spin is lid switch. You said it hums and trips breaker very possible you have something under basket. Make sure that it is agitating, if not than take water pump off motor ( leave hoses connected)and than try washer. If works now you have something in water pump usually baby sock. Most likely will have to replace pump. I have had very bad luck trying to remove socks.

Old 02-23-10, 04:21 AM
re: Kenmore 80 series won't drain or spin

Thanks for the response!

The washer does agitate, and I drained the tub and removed/checked the pump - it is fine, nothing in it. The lid switch is also good.

It almost seems like the basket is trying to spin before the water drains, and the brake is preventing it from doing so, overloading the motor and tripping the breaker. Is the transmission supposed to have a "neutral" position for when the water pumps out? (It never used to spin until the water drained) Any external levers to pull to try to get it in neutral?

Thanks!

Old 02-23-10, 09:53 AM
most of the time when a washer is tripping the breaker its due to stuck contacts in the timer.

Old 02-23-10, 01:22 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Neutral is built into transmission no external way to shift it. Take motor off, leave wires connected snd put washer into spin. Motor should run. If blows breaker you have bad motor or timer usually timer, I am still leaning in direction of something under basket.

Old 03-14-10, 10:24 AM
I am having a problem somewhere similar to this one, should I type out my problem here or start a new individual question?

Old 03-15-10, 03:39 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Start a new thread with what is happening and model # and type of washer

Old 03-15-10, 08:45 AM
Thank you, I will do that.

Old 11-24-12, 10:43 PM
Thankyou, pugsl

Pugsl - thank you! I had a baby sock in the pump and was able to remove it with a lot of convincing. I also appreciate your tone and patience on these boards - the intertubes need many more like you. These Whirlpool/Kenmore units seem to be built well; glad they are reasonably repairable and, in this case, didn't need a costly repair visit.

Our newborn is only 2 months old, so it's a lesson learned the hard way to use small item washing bags.

A minor tip for those experiencing this problem when the washer won't drain - there's more water in the system (tub, hoses, etc.) than you can see in the basket. Empty what you can with a siphon or with buckets first, then have a bucket or three ready for when you disconnect the pump hose.