GE Profile Dishwasher won't drain- need help please

Old 02-26-10, 08:29 PM
U
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
GE Profile Dishwasher won't drain- need help please

Hello-

I have a GE Profile PDW 8000 series dishwasher (PDW8200N00BB) (Serial # HM865817B) that is probably around 2 or 3 years old, and after running a load of dishes, recently there was about an inch or two of standing water at the bottom of the dishwasher. The dishwasher continued to clean dishes just fine, but there was that standing water so I guess it is not draining completely. Also, when we run the dishwasher, sometimes water drips from the bottom of the door of the dishwasher, at a rate of about one drip per 10 seconds. I'm assuming that is happening because there is standing water during the wash that shouldn't be there because it's not draining properly?

After the latest load of dishes, I took all the racks out and stuck my head in there to see if there were any obvious blockages and there were none I could see. I then took some Liquid Draino, followed the instructions on the bottle, and poured some into the dishwasher and let it sit for a half hour or so. Then I ran a hot anti-bacteria wash cycle with no dishes in it hoping that whatever food particles (I assume) were in there would be dissolved and wash away in this cycle. I suspect some of you pros are laughing right now, but I thought it would work.

Anyway, I searched the forum and saw that this could be a variety of things from a bad drain solenoid to a blocked drain tube leading to my sink to a bad pump. I can see the tube that leads to my sink, and it appears to be clear. I know that at least MOST of the water ejected from my dishwasher is going to the sink area and down the drain because I can see the water flowing with a flashlight and can feel the trap getting hot from the ejected water. It's just that the dishwasher isn't draining completely. Is this normal and we just haven't noticed before?

OK, so where do I start troubleshooting this problem with this dishwasher? I enclosed some pictures below with pictures of what the tub looks like and you can actually see the level of the standing water. I'm thinking that I need to start removing those pieces, find the drain area (haven't a clue where it is) and see if there's anything jammed in there. How do I remove these components are there appears to be no screws, attachments, etc., to remove. Where should I be looking for the drain? Should I be removing the kick plate instead?

http://img716.imageshack.us/img716/1269/img0351m.jpg
http://img717.imageshack.us/img717/8506/img0352h.jpg
http://img695.imageshack.us/img695/4585/img0353s.jpg

Any advice greatly appreciated!

Old 02-26-10, 08:52 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
If there's an air gap (chrome cap) at the sink--remove the chrome cap by pulling straight up.
Remove the plastic center cover (2 side tabs should be depressed) and inspect the drain hole. If it is blocked with debris--remove it. Re-install the cap and chrome cover and test the dishwasher by starting a cycle. Press the *cancel* button to initiate drain. Check that all of the water drained completely.

Old 02-26-10, 09:05 PM
U
Originally Posted by john63
If there's an air gap (chrome cap) at the sink--remove the chrome cap by pulling straight up.
Remove the plastic center cover (2 side tabs should be depressed) and inspect the drain hole. If it is blocked with debris--remove it. Re-install the cap and chrome cover and test the dishwasher by starting a cycle. Press the *cancel* button to initiate drain. Check that all of the water drained completely.
John-

Wow, that was a quick response- thanks. I read that when I searched the forum, but I don't believe my sink has one of those. All there is on the surface of my sink is the faucet and that's it.

Old 02-26-10, 09:17 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
The next course of action would be to disconnect power at the fusebox and remove the dishwasher from the counter & place the d/w on its back (towels should be on hand for spillage). Inspect the drain motor for an internal blockage by removing the hoses. With a bright flashlight--look into the pump for debris--remove if possible. If not,the pump can be disassembled.
Blow air into the drain hose by wrapping a paper towel around the drain hose hole--poke a hole into the paper towel and blow into the hose. If it does not clear---it's obstructed. At this point--using compressed air will blast out any obstruction in the drain hose.

Old 02-26-10, 09:39 PM
U
Originally Posted by john63
The next course of action would be to disconnect power at the fusebox and remove the dishwasher from the counter & place the d/w on its back (towels should be on hand for spillage). Inspect the drain motor for an internal blockage by removing the hoses. With a bright flashlight--look into the pump for debris--remove if possible. If not,the pump can be disassembled.
Blow air into the drain hose by wrapping a paper towel around the drain hose hole--poke a hole into the paper towel and blow into the hose. If it does not clear---it's obstructed. At this point--using compressed air will blast out any obstruction in the drain hose.
I was afraid you'd say something like that Sounds like I have a Saturday afternoon project....

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: