Tiled in Dishwasher Dilemma

Old 02-25-10, 10:49 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Tiled in Dishwasher Dilemma

I'm hoping someone can help me with my situation. I am going to be replacing my kitchcen countertop and while we have it removed we're also going to replace our aged dishwasher (this is where my problem begins).

The old dishwasher is ceramic tiled in (about an inch thick with backerboard). I don't think I'll have a problem removing the old dishwasher with the counter being off but when I put the new one in its place the new dishwasher will then be tiled in. When the new dishwasher dies in the future I don't want to have to remove the counter again or dig out the tile around it to remove it. It would be the same situation I am currently in.

So I'm thinking of placing some plywood or other solid surface on the floor in the space where the dishwasher sits then hopefully finding a custom-sized dishwasher that I can just roll into place straight from the tiled floor onto the plywood. This way when it dies in the future I can just wheel it back out. Here's my dilemma though...does anyone make a dishwasher whose maximum height is no more than 33" high? With the plywood being underneath the dishwasher enabling me to wheel it right in I am losing about an inch between the floor and bottom of the countertop.

I hope I explained my situation well enough that someone can help me. Does what I'm asking make any sense? Does anyone know of anybody that sells custom-sized (shorter) dishwashers? I also thought of maybe just going to a drawer dishwasher but then what do I do with all that extra space below it? Does someone also sell the bottom part of a drawer dishwasher to fill in the unused space?

I really hope I explained my situation well enough for someone to help me. I'm open to any and all suggestions or opinions. Thank you!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-25-10, 11:27 AM
Group Moderator
Received 52 Votes on 45 Posts
I just measured both of our dishwashers and they are both measure 33 3/4". Most dishwashers easly slide in and do not have wheels. I think is a good idea thinking ahead with this because a friend of mine broke his counter top trying to get a broken dishwasher out for the same reason. Install your plywood to the DW space and then maybe you could add a little to the top of the cabinets. My cabinets from the floor measure 34 1/2". Add 1 1/2" for the counter top and it comes out to a perfect 36". Even if you added 1/2" - 3/4" to the top of the cabinets the drip edge will cover new wood. This will also give you a little more door between the drawers and the counter top.

If I'm not making sense, let me know and I'll draw a picture.

Old 02-25-10, 03:46 PM
The old dishwasher is ceramic tiled in (about an inch thick with backerboard). I don't think I'll have a problem removing the old dishwasher with the counter being off but when I put the new one in its place the new dishwasher will then be tiled in. When the new dishwasher dies in the future I don't want to have to remove the counter again or dig out the tile around it to remove it. It would be the same situation I am currently in.

Some of my customers have had this issue.
All hired a kitchen & bath contractor to remove a section of the tile flooring--to allow un-installing the dishwasher for repairs or replacement. While it is inconvenient--there's no other option due to the non-moveable countertop (marble/granite/soapstone etc.)
Most *tall tub* dishwashers require a minimum of 34 inches from the floor to the bottom of the countertop.
Non-tall tub dishwashers will fit in shorter than 34 inch openings.
Measuring the new d/w at the retailer can help identify which will fit the opening in your kitchen.

If it's possible--have the new counter raised to about 35 inches from the floor (as Tolyn suggested). This is the best solution if it can be done.

Old 02-25-10, 05:35 PM
Smile Thank you both!

Thank you both for your helpful replies! I really appreciate it. So what you're saying is I could attach 1" thick strips of wood to the tops of the cabinets and have the countertop rest on that, correct?...or do the remove a section of tile flooring thing john63 suggested? I like both of your ideas...now just to decide which I want to get into. Thank you both again...you two were very helpful!

Old 02-25-10, 06:36 PM
Group Moderator
Received 52 Votes on 45 Posts
You are correct but 1" might be a little much. It will depend on how much of a drop edge your new counter will have. I would add just a little less (1/16" - 1/8") than your edge is.

So if your counter top drop edge is 1", then add between 7/8" or 15/16" to the top of the cabinets.

Old 02-26-10, 03:13 AM
Smile Thank you again!

I see...thank you again for all your help! Much appreciated! Have a great day!