DRER..NO HEAT Whirlpool WET3300SQ0

Old 03-13-10, 03:37 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
DRER..NO HEAT Whirlpool WET3300SQ0

Just about 2 months ago, with excellent help from this forum, I made the decision to replace my 20 year old Whirlpool thin twin, which actually was still working, and did stop "acting funny" but we just decided to go with the new one. Got a killer deal on this one, new in box, but that store was closing it out.

ANYWAY...today...NO HEAT! Spins, timer advances, etc.

I opened it up and located an open thermal limiter, part number 3403607. On the unit wiring diagram, I assume this is the thermal fuse ( non resettable ). It has been cooling off for hours, so I assume it is non resettable and just toast.

All the other limit switches and stats read zero ohms, and I jumped this switch and the heat started right up.

My question, just idle curiosity, is just is it common at all to have a failure on something like this just two months in? I will check some more, but it seems air flow is fine, etc. Should I "stock up" on this item so we will not have down time the next time it goes, or was this just a random act of kindness.

Old 03-13-10, 05:36 PM
L
Stupid question, but are you sure that the vent isn't clogged? With all the snow that we had in the NE, I had to ask. Lint screen clogged? If the switch is what I think, it is bimetalic and should have reset. Is it possible that where the terminals connect to the switch the rivets are loose (saw that before)?

Old 03-13-10, 07:19 PM
Fortunately, no snow! It was 70 today!

I checked the air flow at the outside vent and it seems to be fine.

here is the thing:

I guess I just replace it and go from there.

Old 03-14-10, 05:01 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 76 Votes on 69 Posts
Thermo limiters open because of to much heat. Usually caused by low air flow out of dryer. Take vent hose off back of dryer feel air flow, connect host go outside and feel flow again, should be about same, Let us know what happening.

Old 03-16-10, 07:04 AM
I put in the new part and for now, all is well. I found absolutely no buildup of line, and airflow is good. This machine is less than 2 months old, much of the vent was replaced at install. The remainder was cleaned with a rotary vent brush. It still all looks clean, as I would have expected. The total lenght of vent is less than 8 feet, mainly horizontal with 3 90's.

I checked the temp. of the fan plenum with a laser thermomoter, very close to where that fuse is, and it gets to only about 105F. The fust is 91C.

This install vents from the side of the dryer, not the back. As a result, there is a 90 inside the machine, just about 10" back from the outlet of the blower. That could result in slightly higher temps in there, but this is a factory authorized intall method, and the previous nearly identical machine ran for 20 years!

So I am chalking it up to infant mortality, and let's see what happens!

Thanks all for your input.

Old 03-16-10, 12:32 PM
J
Keep the lint filter clean.

If using fabric softener sheets---cut them in half before adding to the dryer.

This reduces the possibility of a sheet getting caught on the perforated holes inside of the drum--reducing airflow significantly. Which causes a temperature spike and "blows" the thermal limiter.

When this occurs--it appears that the thermal limiter failed for no apparent reason because the fabric softener sheet was removed with the laundry and subsequent testing of the dryer & vent system produced no obvious defect.

Another possibility---if the laundry center is in an enclosed area such as a closet with a door---make sure that the door is OPEN when the dryer is being used. If the door is closed--the dryer will "starve" for air and again--the temperature will spike above normal operating range. The thermal limiter will prevent an unsafe condition by opening the circuit to the heating element.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: