GE Side by Side - Not Getting Cold

Old 05-04-10, 03:59 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
GE Side by Side - Not Getting Cold

I bought a used GE 23.8 cu ft side by side (TFX24Z) refrigerator over a year ago and finally plugged it in and it is not getting cold. It was working when I went to the home of the seller. We had to transport it on its side and then it sat upright over a year before I plugged it in and tried to use it. The fans come on and everything sounds like it is working, but the air it is blowing is only slightly cool, even after leaving it on overnight. After trying to run it a while and I turn it off, I hear a bubbling sound for about 5 minutes.

I was wondering if there is anything I can check before I try to call a repairman. Last time I called someone to fix an old fridge, I spent $100 to find out it was the compressor and it wasn't worth fixing. For $100, I can buy another used fridge that works, but then I have the hassle of trying to pick it up and moving them in and out.

I had another old side by side years ago that wasn't working and a friend advised me to bang on the compressor with a rubber mallet when it started to buzz, and that actually worked and 'un-froze' it. I was hoping this trick might work on this one, but I got behind it and listened for the buzz indicating it was trying to cycle and I never heard anything.

Any ideas what the problem is or possible cost to repair?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-04-10, 04:30 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by Timinindy View Post
I had another old side by side years ago that wasn't working and a friend advised me to bang on the compressor with a rubber mallet when it started to buzz, and that actually worked and 'un-froze' it. I was hoping this trick might work on this one, but I got behind it and listened for the buzz indicating it was trying to cycle and I never heard anything.

Any ideas what the problem is or possible cost to repair?
So it sounds like the compressor is not coming on. Do you have a voltmeter, so that you can do an ohms test on the 3 pins that are on the compressor + a dead short/ground test?

Old 05-04-10, 05:29 PM
Turns out compressor was fine. A guy came out and tapped it and added freon for $90 and it seems to be working good now. He was just some old guy in a pickup truck I found on craigslist. His charge to come and diagnose is $30 and that applies to the repair if you choose to do it. He said if you let them sit turned off for a long period of time it can discharge some freon?? It was at about 4 oz and he said it needed "about 8 oz". I found on the spec sheet after he left that it calls for 6.9 oz...?!?!

Old 05-04-10, 06:30 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
The refrigerant end of fridges is something I cannot work on, since I am not licensed. I wonder if he was. If he was, he must be self-employed, working out of his home, at that relatively low charge rate, be my guess.