Whirlpool Elec. Dryer : Gets hot and shuts off

Old 05-29-10, 08:47 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Whirlpool Elec. Dryer : Gets hot and shuts off

Whirlpool Electric Dryer
Model # LEN2000KQ1

A couple months ago my dryer stopped heating. I called the local appliance store. I had my heating element replaced to the tune of $100. Problem solved.

The other night I had a load of clothes drying. I heard a loud noise come from the dryer. I shut the dryer off. Then the next night I went to do a dry another load. Realized my clothes have been in the dryer for 2 hrs w/o progressing, and the dryer is cold.

DH took back of dryer. Looks like a small wrench went through the dryer! I guess I need to check pockets! Anyways, I don't know what he did back there (he is very handy). He said it was fixed. Well, it started drying. It gets too hot and shuts off.

This may be a silly question. Can a dryer still heat up if the heating element needs to be replaced?

Everything is 100% clear of lint. DH is thinking it is a thermostat. He went into the local appliance store. Apparently, the guy told him that he has never had to replace a thermostat. It must be the heating element as a penny going through the dryer could cause it to crack. He didnt sell DH the part (kinda ridiculous).

The motor is fine. The drum turns easily by hand when the dryer is off. What could be causing it to get too hot and shut off?

I need my dryer back ASAP!

Thank you!

Sponsored Links
Old 05-30-10, 04:57 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 17 Votes on 16 Posts
If it heats quit looking in the heating circuit (it works) Where did the wrench go? may have broken blower wheel. Most common reason for dryer overheat is the vent to the outside. Needs cleaning or repairing. Just looked up your dryer most likely the wrench went down the lint chute when the screen was out. Most likely broke the fins in blower wheel

Old 06-05-10, 05:57 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
was it your wrench or does it belong to the company that came out.