Refrigerator that's easiest to service and buy parts for....

Old 05-01-14, 05:37 PM
H
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Refrigerator that's easiest to service and buy parts for....

Hello, we're looking to buy a fridge soon (ours is making some odd noises and is over 14 years old). We went to one appliance store the other day and one sales person there said to stay away from the LG and Samsung brands. They said they are hard to buy parts for and most repairman don't like working on them for that very reason. Is there any truth to this? These were two of the top-rated brands in Consumer Reports (just below Sub Zero).

Are there any brands any of you would strongly recommend? We prefer the single door type, but we're finding those are few and far between. Most are French doors now, which is what we'll probably end up with.

Thanks,

Andy

Old 05-01-14, 06:50 PM
W
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
I've been in ac refrigeration biz for 26 yrs now. I can not say enough good about good ol sears kenmore appliances. Buy a kenmore fridge you will not have to worry about parts or service but if you do Sears will always be around. For now anyway. I know of kenmore drudges washers dryers that are 30 yrs old and still going. Have a good day and good luck on your new purchase. FYI too if you want freezer storage I'd go regular upright and not side by side.

Old 05-01-14, 07:01 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
What size are you looking for ?

I, personally, would stay away from the ice/water in the door. The idea is great but they are typical problem areas. I'm partial to the freezer over the fridge two door style.

The problem with Kenmore is that they don't build their own appliances. They contract out to the typical manufacturers. They used to be top notch products but the name doesn't guarantee that any more.

Old 05-02-14, 03:34 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
We just bought a Samsung french door with bottom freezer and mid cooler drawer. Separate compressors for fridge and freezer. Bought it at a store that had free delivery and haul off and $300 cheaper than Sears. I bought a 5 year extended warranty for the price of Sears' delivery charge. It has been great so far. It had mixed reviews, as would any major appliance, so it was informative, but not deal breaking as they all had it.

Old 05-02-14, 07:52 PM
H
Thanks for the feedback everyone. It's good hearing from someone with a lot of experience (but I'm not dismissing the other's input at all). We have no real use for an ice maker, but there again, it's hard to find one without one.

We hadn't really thought about a Kenmore, but will have to give that more thought now.

The fridge is just for the me and my wife. I've read where they recommend 16-20 cubic feet for two people. We'll probably go at least 20 to give us a little wiggle room.

Memorial Day is coming up soon, so we're looking at getting a deal on a fridge at that time (and maybe a dishwasher as well).

Thanks again,

Andy

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: