Frigidaire Front Load Washer Bangs on Final Spin Only

Old 06-08-10, 07:26 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Frigidaire Front Load Washer Bangs on Final Spin Only

I have a Frigidaire FWT449GFS2 front loading washer. Everything workes fine except on the final spin, it starts banging extremely loudly!! It's works perfectly on all the other rinses and spins, just not the final spin.

It sounds like metal getting banged. I took off the front panel and watched the entire cycle and everything looked good. Even the final spin looked good, but there is severe loud banging.

The shock absorbers looked almost stationary for the final spin, or a very balanced load.

I've searched this forum and online and I don't see anything that would give me an explanation on what would produce this symptom. I did see that it could be the "spider bracket" which is attached to the inner tub.

Any other things I should check? I will be dissassembling this in a few days and I want to be armed with things to check as I do it. I have nothing to lose, I am betting this thing is DONE! It's 12 years old, btw, but it's just me and I do 2 loads per week (a lot less than normal use).

Thanks! -Tony

Old 06-09-10, 05:24 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 75 Votes on 68 Posts
Reach inside and try to move basket uo and dowm. If it moved and tub is still you need a rear bearing. Very common problem for this washer.

Old 06-09-10, 08:16 AM
T
Thanks ...I tried it and it seems OK. I have an identicle (working) washer right next to it and they both are the same when pulling up on the basket. -Tony

Old 06-10-10, 09:06 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
take back off and make sure the pulley is tight, sometimes wil lossen and bang, not commonl

Old 06-11-10, 06:54 AM
T
OK, I took it up to the garage and pulled the back off and discovered what I think is the noise.

When I grab the pulley, and I move it up and down (relative to the floor), it is perfectly solid, there's no play or wiggle. But when I pull and push the pully in and out, it moves about a 16th of an inch. It may even be less than 1/16th, it is unbelievably a small amount of "give" for such and incredibly loud noise. I would say you could easily hear it a two blocks away on the final spin (again, there is no loud noise on all other spins).

So, I checked the thightness of the nut and it was very tight.

What would allow the pulley to slightly move in and out as I push and pull like that?

Thanks!!! I am VERY thankfull for your time! -Tony

P.S. Here' is a photo of where the pulley is fastened to the tub:

Old 06-12-10, 03:51 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Any movement in tub to basket like you discribed sounds like the bearing in tub is bad. Basket has a lifetime warrenty I am not sure what warrenty is on rear tub. I think 10 years, Labor not covered.

Old 06-13-10, 09:57 AM
T
Well, The rear tub looks like it has the bearing built into it and it is $270 plus shipping. It will not be worth repairing I guess. I looked into the documentation for the washer and it says that the tub is warranted for 5 years (the basket is 25 years btw).

I have 2 washers in my laundry room and I had a thrid (new) in storage. I brought in the new one and took this one out, so I will probably be forced to use this one for spare parts for the other two I will be using in service.

Well, this washer was purchased 11 years ago and it only had 1 to 2 loads per week done that WHOLE time. What a disgrace for this washer to wear out like that with such little use. Since I use 2 washers, it warps the warranty timeframe because I'm only using it half-time while the warranty is calculated by the maker as full-time service.

For those who find this threat in the future, here is a totally kick-butt link with photos on how to tear down this washer:
How to remove and replace the drum gasket on the Frigidaire

Thanks you sdo much for the help!! If anyone has more advice, please let me know. I'd love to repait this thing for less than $100. -Tony

Old 06-14-10, 08:53 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
8 to 10 years is about average for the rear bearing on ypour washer

Old 06-14-10, 01:21 PM
T
It is, but washers (mechanical systems) don't understand "time." They break down slowly with "USE." My "use" is equivalent to about 2-3 years of a whole family (with 2-3 kids). Not only was I single with 1 load per week (whites one week, darks the next), but I distributed those loads between TWO washers, so cut that in half on top of the little use!

Are you saying if I had never used the washer, the bearing would still be bad in 10 years ...with no use?

Sorry if I sound course, but I am pissed at this washer. :-)

-Tony

Old 06-14-10, 06:24 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Just talking about normal use can't tell anything smaller use.

Old 01-15-11, 03:22 PM
N
We have the same problem

sorry to jump on an old thread but we have a frigidare front loader as well and as described, we have loud banging in the final spin only. I pulled the washer out from the wall and removed the top and the back. running with just a wet bath towel and a pair of jeans, the spin seemed to work ok. i then loaded up the washer fairly full without cramming stuff in and the very loud banging started again.

I watched from behind and didn't see the tank banging against anything. i assume this means something is banging inside the tank.

I tried to relevel the washer and got the same results. the story above did not have a happy ending. any suggestions?

Old 01-15-11, 04:22 PM
T
Im the original poster,

I still have mine sitting in my garage for spare parts. I strill have two - side by side - and this 3rd is in the garage. You can find them used on craigslist but you have to know all the different brands that are the same washer. Here's a list I'v collected over the years:

3.1 Cu. Ft. Front Loaders (Under the Counter)

Frigidaire FWT449GFS2
GE WSXH208F0WW
Frigidaire LTF530DS0
Frigidaire FTF530FS
Frigidaire FTF530F

Kenmore ( 417.###### )
Kenmore 40412

Westinghouse 198983
Westinghouse WTF330HS (hhgregg)
(DRYER=WEQ332HS)

GE WSXH208HWW

-Tony

Old 01-16-11, 06:19 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Reach inside washer and lift basket. If basket moves inside tub you have a bad bearing (very common). Level washer with a couple of towels in it. Get towels wet and than wait until full spin and than adjust the easiest leg you can reach Levelingmay take a little as a haft turn of foot or more.

Old 08-21-11, 03:34 PM
J
I have a Frigidaire LTF530DS0 that had an identical banging problem. It got so bad, that the inner basket actually got dents and cracks in it on the back plate. I haven't tried using it again, because it doesn't turn smoothly anymore; it feels like it is off track and grinding. The thing basically shook itself to death! I would like to get inside and see what the problem is one of these days.

Old 08-21-11, 05:28 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
You need a basket and tub, From what you said you will need both front and rear tubs. I would also replace the door boot.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: