How long does refrig compressor run for ?

Old 06-21-10, 05:16 AM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
How long does refrig compressor run for ?

For a new unbroken refrigerator/freezer - how long does the compressor and compressor fan run per day ?

My 1998 Amana refrig has a 8 hour defrost timer (with 30 min defrost).
This refrigerator is in kitchen in house with central a/c so temp and humidty is very very comfortable

So is it normal for the compressor and its fan to run basically constantly (3 x 8 hrs) except (3 x 30 min) per day ??
It never stops running except those short 90 min a day.

This seems like an AWFUL lot for any motor/fan/compressor to have to run so much - and sucking up so much electricity.

Is this how refrigerators normally work ?

Old 06-21-10, 06:50 AM
You would cause less confusion if you kept it all in one thread.

No , it is not normal to run like that. It is running constantly because your refrigerator is broken. SOMETHING is causing it to not achieve temps ( you reported 26FZ, 52FF). If you keep it going like this, your food will spoil, and your compressor will burn out, if it is not already.

Old 06-22-10, 02:21 AM
P
So how does a good compressor normally run ?

pls explain how does it or should it run if compressor is new or unbroken ? I am trying to learn/understand it.

My compressor was very hot to the touch but at least the biggish fan in back by it also is running. But kinda worried
about compressor since it only stops for 3o minutes every 8 hours when defrost timer kicks in.
But if my compressor or freon is burned out then how am I still getting ice/frost build up on the evap coil fins and getting my semi-low temps ( fridg 48* and freezer 26*) ?

And how does the freezer and fridg get its temps down so low to like 0* and 30-40* normally ? pls explain how this works.
thanks

Old 06-22-10, 07:54 PM
Originally Posted by philb00
pls explain how does it or should it run if compressor is new or unbroken ? I am trying to learn/understand it.

My compressor was very hot to the touch but at least the biggish fan in back by it also is running. But kinda worried
about compressor since it only stops for 3o minutes every 8 hours when defrost timer kicks in.
But if my compressor or freon is burned out then how am I still getting ice/frost build up on the evap coil fins and getting my semi-low temps ( fridg 48* and freezer 26*) ?

And how does the freezer and fridg get its temps down so low to like 0* and 30-40* normally ? pls explain how this works.
thanks
It is all physics...here is how:The refrigeration cycle explained in plain english.

Again, it is all in the physics. In submarines, we create our air conditioning with STEAM. Works great. It's all in the physics!

Old 06-23-10, 03:08 PM
P
simple question

How long on average does the compressor run on a new or unbroken working refrigerator ?
Anybody know?

Old 06-23-10, 04:27 PM
It might run for 20 minutes every few hours. If you put on a big load...add warm food, leave the door open, etc, it might be a little more. Not much.

Old 06-23-10, 07:02 PM
Super Moderator
Received 68 Upvotes on 62 Posts
As requested, please do not start multiple threads on essentially the same problem!

Old 06-26-10, 05:27 PM
M
You have a defrost problem...

Your refrigerator is not defrosting proberly. You said it does go into defrost mode which is the timer going into a 20 minute defrost cycle every 6-8 hours. All models have slightly different times but this is a pretty close guide.
From what you said the unit shuts down for the defrost cycle.
There are 3 components to the defrost system.
One is the timer; a small motor is attached to the rear of the timer and has a small view hole to see if the motor is running.
Also on the front of the timer is a plastic circle piece that you can manually turn to put it in defrost mode and run mode. You have to use a slotted screwdriver to manually turn it and it only goes one way clockwise to prevent timer damage. You can eliminate the timer as it is working from what you said. Some times the contacts inside the timer that switch on the heater burn up; but mostly the motor on the timer goes kaput.
The second is the defrost heater. It is located behind the metal panel where your evaporator coil is, where the frost buildup is. There are 2 types one is metal and coils along with the coil. It either snaps into the fins or has clips that hold it in place. The second type is a quartz heater enclosed in glass and is clipped into the coils. Either way you have to remove the metal panel in the rear of the freezer to access it.
You can unplug the fridge and ohm out the heater and see if it has any continuity using the ohm scale on the meter. Make sure it is unplugged, POWER OFF. You should see continuity through it. Also you have to be VERY CAREFUL in handling the heater as they are delicate and you don't want to break it. This is especially true with the glass quartz heaters. Also on the glass quartz heaters you don't want oil off you skin on it or it will break when it heats up. I would use some gloves in handling it to prevent that and possible injury in case you break the glass.
Third and not least it a thermostat that is also on the side of the evaporator coils that turns off the heater when the temperature of the coil reaches 40 degrees. It shuts off the heater even if there is still time on the defrost cycle according to the timer.
I would replace the heater and the thermostat as a set and you won't have any more problems.
First advance the timer into the defrost mode by taking a screwdriver and SLOWLY turning it until it clicks and the fridge shuts off (compressor and fan stop) and then look in the freezer where the frost is. If the heater is working you will hear the heater heating up the coil and may even hear some hissing as water drips off the coils and hits it. If so and the heater is working you can hold hand up to the metal panel and feel heat after about 4-5 minutes. If heater is working change out the timer. If not change out the heater and t-stat. A defrost times is less than twenty dollars where the heater can run from 40 to 80 dollars. The thermostat if less than 10 dollars and is a wise thing to replace with the heater.
The thermostat should show continuity just like the heater when cold below 40 degrees. They don't fail as often as the heater but I have seen them not close back after they get cold.
There are other ways to check the defrost system but if you are not a tech it would confuse or possibly cause injury.
Good luck and let us know how it goes...
Also take a vacum and clean the condenser coils under the fridge it will help keep the compressor cooler. And make sure the fan is running. If it is a side by side you also need the cardboard panel on the back of the fridge to help with airflow.
I have seen refrigerators not work well just because someone left the cardboard panel off or threw it away.
Later, Marty.

Old 06-27-10, 04:11 PM
A
Originally Posted by martymartin
I have seen refrigerators not work well just because someone left the cardboard panel off or threw it away.
Later, Marty.
Removing cardboard baffle can also be a compressor killer.

Old 06-28-10, 07:21 PM
M
Yep...

Yep...that will kill one really quick. I went on a service call once where the homeowner cleaned coils under the fridge and when they removed panel it crumpled and broke. I cut a piece of cardboard and screwed it on and they were good to go. They were suprised to see how a piece of cardboard made all the difference in the world.

Philb00 check your PM...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: