kenmore washer - clothes still wet after spin

Old 06-21-10, 09:46 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
kenmore washer - clothes still wet after spin

Kenmore washer model 110.92281100 probably 15 years old

We have had a few problems with the washer recently that are possibly related. First the washer was more easily unbalanced. I nudged the machine around a little and re-adjusted the legs and it seems pretty stable now. At the same time, the drain connection (the plastic peice where the internal drain hose connects on one side and the external drain connects on the other) broke it's mounting tabs and came off. I replaced that with a new connector. The current issue is that clothes are often - but not always - still heavy with water after a spin cycle.

When the clothes end up still wet, I can turn the dial to the same spin cycle it just ran and run it again and the spin completes with the clothes as dry as expected. I even watched a full cycle (having wedged the lid switch on) but it went fine that time.

So to summarize, the spin cycle does not always remove the appropriate amount of water from the clothes but if the same spin is run a second time, all is well.

I have read about couplers and clutches in this forum. It seems to me that if the washer did not spin at all, then the coupler might be bad. The inconsistent water extraction and an apparent functioning spin cycle would indicate a clutch problem. Am I on track?

The second part of the question is that with the unit being 15+ years old, is it worth replacing the clutch? Is the washer market seeing better durability in older units so that it is worth maintaining an older unit? Any good reason to replace instead of repair?

A new clutch is about $43 + tax & ship plus it looks like I may need a special wrench to remove the tub nut.

I am not sure what the equivalent replacement model would be so judging replacement cost is difficult.

Any help and suggestions are encouraged and welcomed.

- Peter

Sponsored Links
Old 06-21-10, 04:13 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 23 Votes on 22 Posts
Look inside cabinet about 6 inches up, If you see a streak of oil there you have a gearcase leaking oil and it is in the clutch, (slow spin, wet clothes). You can get A SEAL AND CLUTCH FAIRLY CHEAP.